The Most Unreliable Car?

Page 1 / 7
superfreek, Mar 10, 7:28am
Purely for interests sake, after the constant talk on here of reliable cars what would you guys say the most unreliable cars are and why! Say any car in the last 10-15 years and assuming it has been looked after as well as a comparison car.

pentium4, Mar 10, 7:32am
Nissan Skyline,, wont find one that hasnt been redlinded for 99% of its life

ginga4lyfe, Mar 10, 7:34am
really! to me that they have been redlined all there life and still go with relatively no hassles during ownership = more reliable than a Toyota Cavalier

mugenb20b, Mar 10, 7:35am
Ford Taurus, VW Polo.

bigfatmat1, Mar 10, 7:36am
Well I spend alot of time fixing nissan starter motors and alternators, and vw and bmw abs faults, also subaru fuel pumps and plugs 8 years ago every second car I fixed was a mitsi with a computer failure

thejazzpianoma, Mar 10, 7:36am
The vast majority of modern cars are reliable if they are properly looked after. Its more often the combination of abuse/neglect + the weakest point of some cars that causes unreliability. Like some Honda auto's, good if you maintain them bad if you don't.

Fiat Tipo's are another one that dosn't like neglect, lots of stupid little things start going wrong.

There are a few exceptions though, like some Toyota Diesels which can crack heads no matter how much you baby them.

tgray, Mar 10, 7:37am
My most unreliable car was a V12 jaguar XJS.
Worst car I have ever owned (and there's beem many).

thejazzpianoma, Mar 10, 7:39am
I think Bosch of thatera have a lot to answer for. Those ABS faults happen a lot, as do their MAF sensors of the same era.

bigfatmat1, Mar 10, 7:42am
so does hitachi and mitsi electrics as used in nissan

dvince, Mar 10, 7:49am
Surely anything made by Lada.

motorway, Mar 10, 7:54am
What is with Nissan and starters.i'm whacking the poxy things all day long.it was pulsars, primeras and bluebirds and maximas, now it's cubes and tinos, wingroads and tiidas!

sw20, Mar 10, 7:56am
Two words.

British Leyland.

icemans1, Mar 10, 8:02am
i thought the trabant was the world's most unreliable car ever!

foxdonut, Mar 10, 8:04am
The Taurus is ugly as fk, but are they unreliable! The SHO has a strong motor, good for an easy 12 second pass with only a few grand put into it.

steve817, Mar 10, 8:07am
hit the nail on the head

woody1946, Mar 10, 8:09am
you would be surprised just how tough the Lada's are

I had a Niva 4x4 and it was built like a tank

andrew241, Mar 10, 8:18am
New v8 landcruiser I own two and wont be buying any more,very disapointed

digger80, Mar 10, 8:19am
FORD,fixed or repaired daily

bigeye2, Mar 10, 8:30am
design faults in new landcruisers.went bad in 05/06,.

sr2, Mar 10, 8:33am
Remember the Tasman and the Kimberly! (Shudder!).

nzmax, Mar 10, 8:43am
Pretty much an Australian re-designed Austin/Morris 1800. Just read a pre-release article today about them in an old Wheels magazine of the time saying how great they were probably going to be.lol. Funny how the complete opposite happened.

dvince, Mar 10, 8:46am
Oh yeah, they used all the good steel and sold the rubbish to Fiat lol

franc123, Mar 10, 8:51am
I think you could apply that comment to all of Toyotas commercial vehicles from then on.The fact that the 70 series Cruisers are still even made suggests that they can't come up with anything that is better suited to harsh conditions.

sandypheet, Mar 10, 8:51am
Had a friend turbo one of these,to much time on his hands.

im_andrew, Mar 10, 8:53am
Does anyone else have a set of whitworth spanners to go with their leyland!

I do.

I wish I didnt.