Car budget of 50-60k

Page 1 / 2
matrix641, May 20, 12:09pm
I currently have a car that I can fetch around the 50-60k mark. I'm wanting to get something with a lot of bang for buck.

Anyone know some cars in my price range, that are hella fast while being comfortable(ish) to drive.

Currently looking at the Mitsi Evo X fq360. However I dont really like the idea of a 2litre engine pushed to its limits.

The other is a Holden VE Supercharged. Whether it be maloo/ssv ute, or commy/r8 commy, with or without supercharger then get the work done myself. Although its much cheaper to buy it already done.

The evo and s/c holden goes 0-100 in about 4sec, I like the idea of the 4wd and handling of the evo, but like the grunt and looks of the maloo/commy.

Does anyone know of anything else in this price range with the same performance figures thats nice to cruise in! Im coming from a car with 750hp and twin plate manual clutch with no A/C, its not the best for cruising, I want something that canes anything in my way yet can cruise nicely.
And anyone had experience with either of these and can give an honest opinion of which road to go!

Please no ford bias opinions. :P

unclejake, May 20, 12:11pm
I would buy a SRT8 Chrysler and spend the change on a good lawyer

matrix641, May 20, 12:16pm
Im not much of a fan of the 300c and didnt think it would have 0-100 in the 4sec range. Thanks for pointing this out Ill definitely do some looking into these. I might just have a bit too much bogan blood running through me to cruise in a 300c. but it has a hemi

unclejake, May 20, 12:21pm
The 6.1 liter cars are an amazing vehicle to drive IMHO, but I didn't think one could be more bogan than a 300C. They are not for a tall man though. Vision is terrible if you have a long back as the interior mirror is gigantic, and right in the way.

They drive much like an AMG Mercedes. Not nimble like an Evo, but certainly surprisingly sure footed for their size (and prodigious weight)

bitsy_boffin, May 20, 1:50pm
Hate to be the boring voice of reason but when I hear people talking about spending that kind of money on a modern car, only one word comes to my mind. DEPRECIATION.

Ouch.

foxdonut, May 20, 1:54pm
Meh. The satisfaction that a nice car can offer is worth more than a high resale figure if you can afford it in the first place.

Shit I'd sell everything I have right now and buy a Ruf YellowBird that I could only afford to run for a month if I knew I'd have someplace safe to park it.

clark20, May 20, 7:11pm
You are right in that getting a S/C one that is already done and sorted is better value, I would start by talking to Torque performance and paul manuell racing to see if they know of any for sale.

rovercitroen, May 20, 7:45pm
BMW M5, Audi S8!

rovercitroen, May 20, 7:50pm
If you can afford it why not! We are a long time tapping on the lid.

doublek, May 20, 9:20pm
So, so true. No prizes for being the richest man in the graveyard.

audi_s_ate, May 20, 9:23pm
+1

trogedon, May 20, 9:24pm
What's the speed limit! Oh, that's right 100kph. Get a four cylinder and.grow up.

ct9a, May 20, 9:31pm
only vehicle id even consider if performance is the main essence is a GTR

ct9a, May 20, 9:33pm
i am able to drive around town,open road,full interior ,can drive to track,dragstrip or anywhere and have 900hp at right foot,the gtr is proven in every way reliability when built up,handling and has the heritage to match.full range of aftermarket support and a strong following in every country

fiatracer, May 20, 9:37pm
if supercharging is your thing - here's a couple of options. Get a really really nice BMW 540 - a late E39 or the next model, and import an aftermarket blower kit. Top of my list would be a Jaguar XJR

hotrodtodd1, May 20, 9:38pm
Troggy, maybe could wrap himself in lycra with dopey advertising and ride around on a flashy pushbike. Now that would be grown up aye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=dZZG-muxPNY&feature=related

Given that the man is a proud bogan, the bus is close to a "slit your wrists" option, and bogans dont suit Euros, or Jappas for that matter.

How about a black Dodge Ram SRT/10 truck with an aftermarket forced induction setup! May have to bring the blower or twin turbo kit in from the USA tho.

sr2, May 20, 9:52pm
At the risk of being shot down in flames that sort of coin could get you into a rather nice 911, a real drivers car.

johnf_456, May 20, 9:58pm
Yup unless you plan on going on the track all the time.

ct9a, May 20, 11:00pm
holdens you look like everyone else on the road,grandad even has one,look like a cop car coming down the road and devalue super fast

is that what you are after !
id go down the typhoon path before any other or the walkinshaw.

anything else is out of your price range

my top pick would be audi

phillip.weston, May 20, 11:09pm
Just my 2 cents - the 4B11 in the Evo X is not pushed to the limits at 360hp or even 400hp - the 4G63 which preceded it was widely regarded as to being capable of handling a great deal of power. The 4B11 is much better in many regards such as being a 4 bolt mains bottom end, all alloy block and chain driven cams. The 4B11 is heavily based on the joint engine development between Mitsubishi Motors, Mercedes Benz/DaimlerChrysler and Hyundai and is named the GEMA engine. The 4B11 is built further apon the GEMA engine to be much stronger and robust.

AMS in the US is a world renown part/tuning shop who work on all makes and models but do have a huge amount of experience with the Lancer Evo series. They managed to get an Evo IX into the 9s and they have an Evo X knocking on 9s as well with a 10.1 1/4 mile time.

Bang for buck I don't think you can go wrong with an Evo X, however I think the VE Commodore SS is also another great choice. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

unclejake, May 20, 11:41pm
Good call. but I doubt they are to OPs tastes, I would own a V10 one for sure (if they were in the $60k bracket)

foxdonut, May 20, 11:50pm
Wow - those are "competitively priced". 295 would be my pick - it will be hard to match that performance vs price.

ct9a, May 21, 12:00am
face palm

foxdonut, May 21, 12:13am
I had no idea you could get a supercharged Commie for that sort of money. For that price why would you bother with anything else! Shit I'm going to have to start saving.

mike107, May 21, 12:22am
Holden 2010 6.0L v8 with the G8 Pontiac nose cone.