Automatic Transmission service / Flush

choke, May 19, 10:13pm
Okay, dumb question.

What is the difference between an Automatic Transmission Service and a Automatic Transmission flush!

We have an Isuzu Bighorn, 1998, Diesel Turbo, 3ltr. Runs wel,no problems, but nothing has been done to the Transmission for a long time!

skyline_guy_r34, May 19, 10:17pm
Flush is just flushing new trans oil through until it runs clear (usually 12-20L is needed/allowed).

A service includes supplying and replacing a filter kit for the trans, and a flush on top.

A filter kit for my 4.0L 99 ford just cost $50, not sure what labour was charged.

But I was charged just under $300 including GST for service and trans, and that includes all oil used and the trans kit in that price. I believe I was discounted on labour though as he does all my work and hes a good bloke.

illusion_, May 19, 10:29pm
Time to get it done sometime soon then. What you want is a full service including filter and flushing the trans AND torque converter (SOME outfits tend to get a bit lazy about that last bit, but if you dont get it done some of the OLD oil will still be in the system).

edited to add: Had my L/cruiser done within the last year and cost by Toyota dealer was $300 incl. Good insurance the way I see it.

smac, May 19, 10:35pm
Not necessarily. A service will not necessarily include a flush. Maybe just a drain and fill. Best to specifically ask.

bjmh, Mar 11, 5:55pm
i charge around $200 to put a flushing unit on auto ,depends on oil used,flushing will clean out old oil from cooler,pipes,convertor etc,a service would include taking sump off auto and changing filter.more cost. The bighorns seem to thrive on just flushing and changing oil.hope this isn't too confusing.