Modified transmission tunnel legal?

carrot3, Nov 5, 6:04am
Is is possible to enlarge the transmission tunnel on a car and still get it certed! I'm imagining it would at least need to be done by a qualified welder would it!

socram, Nov 5, 6:11am
I hope so!Made mine removeable.Had the opening strengthened as without it, the bodyshell would flex about 10mm. After strengthening, less than 1mm deviation.

wellabolla, Nov 5, 6:16am
as long as its tidy it doesn't need to be done by a certed welder.Check with your low volume cert guy as to what he wants but i have modified HEAPS of them and never had an issue

smac, Nov 5, 6:24am
Ya mine's pretty butchered due to having gear change mounted inside the car in a previous life. Went through cert no problem.

carrot3, Nov 5, 6:32am
oh ok that's awesome :) got some plans for an impreza that involve needing quite a bit more room in that department.

franc123, Feb 1, 2:54am
Yes if you do things neatly and tidily you shouldn't run into any problems.Have a chat with your local LVV certifier and discuss your plans, but I'm sure they are far less concerned with tunnel mods than what they would be if you were hacking into subframes or changing engine or trans mounts etc.It may be an issue if the mods are close to steering rack or subframe mounts.