Rear Diff Slips; Baaad?

pcguitarist, May 18, 6:14am
Hi, I'm looking at getting a 1996 Evo 4 and all looks good besides the fact the the rear diff slips. I have no idea how bad this is.does it need urgent fixing! What effects could it have while driving! What sort of costs would I be looking at to fix! Thanks!

bubbles52, May 18, 6:17am
evo 4 was the worst of the lot, crap drive train, i wouldnt buy it

pcguitarist, May 18, 6:44am
Thanks. Would I run into other problems as well!

trader127, May 18, 8:27am
evo 4 = constant problems + an endless supply of money to pay for repairs (resale value after all expenses will be a lot of pocket lint).

bubbles52, May 18, 8:31am
yip ive owned one, constant repairs to the rear diff, i just cut my losses and sold it at $1 reserve

siobhan41, May 18, 8:41am
Yep Evo 4 with diff issues here quit it quickly.
AYC diff was very noisy and a few other problems,go for a 5,8,9

bubbles52, May 18, 8:43am
i would say the 3 was the best one, anyone else agree!

pcguitarist, May 18, 6:45pm
Thanks guys, extremely helpful!

ola_bitchola1, May 18, 7:20pm
3 or 6 would be my pick

phillip.weston, May 18, 7:40pm
people rag on the 4 all day long but I think if you're on a budget they are the one to buy. The diff issue can be easily sorted by fitting an Evo5+ GSR diff if you want to retain AYC, or fit an RS LSD mechanical diff instead.

The core engine and gearbox is the same as Evo 5 and 6, just it has smaller injectors and a slightly lesser spec turbo. You can easily get over 200-220kw at the wheels by fitting an Evo7+ turbo and 560cc injectors along with an Evo8 ECU (Evo8+ ECU can be re-flashed and tuned easily with an adapter cable and laptop). The Evo4's don't have brembos either but again Evo5+ brembo calipers and rotors are a bolt on affair. Many Evo5+ owners often ditch their brembos for larger calipers/rotors still, so a set of brembo brakes often turn up for sale at a reasonable price.

You could pay $7-8k for a tidy Evo4 these days, even less for one with diff problems, then spend another $2-3k and it'll be faster (but perhaps not better looking) than an Evo5 which a tidy one would start at $13-14k.

As for Evo 3 being the best. pfft. I prefer the more subtle lines of the Evo 2 over the 3, the 3 was kind of ruined for me when every man and his dog with a GSR fitted a horrible fitting fibreglass Evo 3 kit.

I think the Zero is the best of the lot because it was the fore-runner for what was to come - but hey I am a little biased and may say that :P

debulebule, May 19, 8:26pm
I wouldn't pay anything. Km's are right at the age where everything will want to be replaced. Cv's etc. Definitely better cars out there for the money,

berg, May 19, 8:33pm
Best Evo, 6.5 Makinen as long as it hasn't been molested by somebody who doesn't know any better.
As for this one, the kms wouldn't worry me so much but the modifications and reasons for re-rego would. I prefer mine stock standard.

phillip.weston, Mar 11, 3:52pm
yeah it doesn't look like the tidiest example. I would look into exactly what 'kansai' bits it has, or why it's wearing a kansai sticker. Surely $1000 more will get an example with lower kms and hasn't been re-registered.