1996 Alfa romeo 146

dirtrider200, May 15, 8:35am
Just wondering if these cars are any good and what to look out for,Have just purchased one and pick it up tomorrow, has the 1.6 boxer motor and manual thanks

thejazzpianoma, May 15, 8:59am
The boxer engined one is pretty straight foward to deal with. Just find out if the cambelts are due and keep them up to date. Replace the waterpump and tensioner's when you do a cambelt change and keep your cooling system in good shape.
I am not an expert on the boxer engines but the 146 is generally a pretty good car. If you do have problems its usually minor niggly stuff not major problems that will leave you stranded. Keep Italian Auto Centre and Dino Enterprises in mind for cheap genuine parts.
Enjoy!

dirtrider200, May 15, 9:00am
Thanks,cambelt was done recently i think, it has highish ks but looks very tidy,

thejazzpianoma, May 15, 9:02am
I wouldn't get to worried about highish km's if its been maintained. Alfa's in general tend to have very long life engines.
My 1975 Alfa only just had its first recondition last year and realistically I could have got away with just doing the rings.
It must have done way over half a million km's.

BTW, consider joining your local chapter of the Alfa club. They are a great bunch of people and very helpfull. Its all pretty laid back and they have great fun family outings.

dirtrider200, May 15, 9:05am
yeah not worried about kms, have a couple mark 3 golfs, 1.8 and vr6 and they got just over 200k on them and they been great

vjregal770, May 16, 2:32am
The boxer and the twin-cam Alfa motors are very durable. Don't let the know-nothings around here who get all their car "knowledge" from the Dog and Lemon Guide tell you otherwise.

Bodies are galvanized, so the infamous Alfa rust of old won't be an issue unless it's been SERIOUSLY neglected.

Maintenance, and a documented history of such, is the key.Go NZ new too (which I think about all 146s are anyway).

vtecintegra, May 16, 2:43am
Out of interest how well does the gearbox shift!

The one thing all the moderate/high mileage Alfas I've been in have had in common has been touchy gearboxes.

dirtrider200, May 16, 9:06am
got car drives very well, gears are quite tight may need gear oil change but dont know how tight it should be as never driven one before, regualy serviced have some receipts but not many. how often should cambelt be done have a feeling its due soon, done 60.000ks since changed thanks

grangies, May 16, 9:25am
Body corrosion.

dirtrider200, May 16, 9:38am
Havent found any yet will look more tomorrow in the daylight

centec, Feb 28, 5:16pm
Misguided comment, refer post #7