Help Bleeding clutch!

Page 1 / 2
tekaholics, May 2, 9:11am
Hi there, I have just purchased a 1993 honda accord, H22a dohc vtec. The previous owner had told me that he changed the slave cylinder and all it needed was to bleed the clutch fluid. Now.I have googled it and this is whatI have come up with.

The bleeder should be near the transmission and should have a rubber cover over the end of it, you will need someone to help you with this,take the cap off of the clutch master cylinder, then loosen the bleeder and have someone push down the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor, then tighten down the bleeder, then the pedal can be released from the floor, check the fluid level, repeat if necessary.

Is this the best way! Any advice and much advice would be appreciated.Thank you in advance.

callabell, May 2, 9:16am
never bothered bleeding the clutch when the fluids run out i just fill it and its sorted itself or just push the clutch pedal in 20 times. id be a bit suspect on what they told you what is the problem with the clutch does it work!

tekaholics, May 2, 9:21am
yea it just doesn't go into 1st and reverse properly, the clutch is loose.

hijacka, May 2, 9:27am
Yeah but if he has changed the slaveas stated above, it will have air trapped and will need bleeding to remove the air. undo filler cap and fill with 4dot fluid. get someone to push the clutch pedal down and loosen bleeder nipple on slave cylinder located near the exhaust manifold bolted to gearbox, clutch pedal will hit the ground and stay down, tighten nipple with 10mm spanner, lift clutch pedal uppress back down repeatingl 3-5 times and hold down pedal while other person loosen bleeder nipple until fluid stops draining and tighten, lift pedal up and press down repeat process until theres no sign of trapped air but should only take 3-4 goes max.

tekaholics, May 2, 9:37am
Thanks Hijacka, your the man.you have helped us with most of our Hondas. Thanks alot.

hijacka, May 2, 11:34am
Ya Welcome.good luck

johnf_456, May 2, 11:36am
long time no see hijacka

hijacka, May 2, 11:45am
I would spend more time on here if it was in 3D lol, Nah, I just got a 3D TV and playing GT5 and kill zone3 in 3D on the PS3 is the reason behind my absense:)
Its like im 16 again haha

scoobeey, May 2, 9:56pm
I used a one man bleeder supersheep didnt need anyone else:)

johnf_456, May 2, 10:20pm
You big kid

tekaholics, May 3, 7:00am
OK.HAVE DONE WHAT HIJACKA SAID TO DO.BUT STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.Any ideas on what it could be now!Its not going into 1st or reverse gear.it crunches in high revs sometimes and is hard to put into gear when your changing on the open highway.does that mean the clutch is stuffed or maybe we didnt do it right!

hijacka, May 3, 7:09am
On a flat surface, Try selecting first gear with ignition off and start engine with clutch in. Does it roll forward with clutch in with engine started!

jasongroves, May 3, 7:12am
Something else is wrong.if the seller changed the slave cylinder you think he would have had the brains to bleed it too.
In other words.he knew there was something else wrong after replacing the slave cylinder, bleeding it and realising it hadn't fixed the problem.
There could be a leak somewhere, could be faulty master cylinder, stuffed line, clutch worn or out of alignment, fork isn't engaging.etc etc etc.
Any slipping at all!

tekaholics, May 3, 7:13am
Just tried it and no it doesnt

jasongroves, May 3, 7:14am
When you bled it, did the fluid come out with a reasonable amount of pressure!

tekaholics, May 3, 7:18am
No, no slipping at all either. But I agree with what you said about the seller.

tekaholics, May 3, 7:19am
Yes reasonable amount.

hijacka, May 3, 7:20am
Did air keep coming out when you were bleeding it! how does the pedal feel! get someone to pump the pedal while you inspect the slave cylinder for effecient movement.
Also check the master cylinder for leaks, will be wet with brake fluid underneath the master cylinder oozing out onto the booster and paint will be flaking away on the booster where Brake fluid has leaked

tekaholics, May 3, 7:30am
No oil around it nor along the lines at all.im thinking that it maybe what Jason has said clutch worn or out of alignment.

hijacka, May 3, 7:32am
Also unbolt slave cylinder from the box, remove rubber boot and pin, inspect clutch slave cylinder bore for signs of fluid bypassing the seal.it should be dry.

sr2, May 3, 7:33am
A quick and easy test of master cylinder (after a visual inspection for leaks) is to clamp the flexible hose with some vice grips, the pedal should be rock hard.

jasongroves, May 3, 7:40am
Good tip Sr2

hijacka, May 3, 7:41am
Yep it could be any of those things jason said its just elminating what it isn't in order to find out what it is.
Clutches are quite easy to replace, done one in a BB prelude with a h22a engine, didn't even have to total remove gearbox, just back enough to slip the clutch and pressure plate on then loosly fitted pressure plate, bolted box to engine and tightened up pressure plate bolts via starter motor hole, I bought the clutch kit from BNT for less than 3Hundy, Always a good selling point aswell. Just trying to look on the bright side:)
Yes nice tip sr2

thunderbolt, May 3, 7:44am
Vice grips with square edges + old hose = crushed hose and new hose purchased.
Use brake line clamps or at least some cardboard under the jaws to spread the force a little.

jasongroves, May 3, 8:04am
Just a thought.but if the slave cylinder isn't mounted correctly/seated right, then the piston may not be able to push the clutch fork enough to enable changing gear!