Tools In The Car? The Age Of Modern Motoring.

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, May 2, 8:02am
This got me pondering last week, customer bought a late model Mazda last week & asked me to compile him a tool bag for the boot - in case of breakdown!
I was kind of confused for a bit - still am really, my own cars for instance: 01 Subaru - basic jack & handle, if it breaks down Im going the rest of the way in a rental, Landcruiser - has a very nice factory took kit, but again - not much you can repair on the side of the road! Peugeot 205 Gti - nothing, I can push it into a ditch pretty easy lol
However - the Mk3 Zephyr - full imperial spanner set, screwdrivers, hammer, crescent et al - because its from an era (and built for) roadside repairs if necessary.

Just wonder what you blokes carry!

zephyrheaven, May 2, 8:03am
Lets get one thing right - Im a mechanic with my own shop, I know whats repairable on the road & what aint, never seen anyone with a full bag of sensors for a Subaru & the means to replace them in the pouring rain on SH73 ha ha

sandypheet, May 2, 8:06am
I would guess the best modern tool would be the cell phone.

jono2912, May 2, 8:10am
That's the reason I have VTNZ Roadside rescue, simply because it saves the hassle if it needs a tow.

tmenz, May 2, 8:22am
My Honda has a basic kit with a couple of screwdrivers and a couple of spanners. When the distributor bearings collapsed in the middle of nowhere, I was able to successfully change the distributor (for one obtained from a wrecker) using only the car tool kit!

zephyrheaven, May 2, 8:23am
nice work tmenz, I managed the same on dads Forester in Fairlie once, wrecker was an awesome guy & opened up on a sunday afternoon for me to remove one from half a gt wagon

clark20, May 2, 8:28am
And a fire extinguisher

johnf_456, May 2, 8:29am
Very good advice you never know when you will need one for you or someone else. Which reminds me I need a replacement one.

m16d, May 2, 8:36am
My 62 Mk2 Jag had a wooden toolbox that fitted inside the spare wheel.
I kept the crescent.
My new Honda has a tool kit.!

hotrodtodd1, May 2, 9:47pm
Cell phone & an AA card, and some jumper lleads. Have fire extinguisher in the hot rod.

Kind of pathetic really

callum.irvine, May 2, 9:52pm
Pair of pantyhose for a broken fan belt! Or is that an urban myth. I do know a friend who broke his once. Was a loooooong walk for rescue. He carries a spare belt now in every car he has. Personally I would have just kept driving it.

i-n-horz, May 2, 10:06pm
Screwdrivers,spanners,hammer,i-
nsulation tape,duct tape,wire (mild),2mtr x 2mtr tarpaulin,two hook tow rope,2 x ratchet strops,ropes,fire extinguisher,torch and of course the standard jack.

phillip.weston, May 2, 10:07pm
just jumper leads and a tow rope in my Mitsubishis, but in the Cortina I may need to start carrying tools with the amount of times it's given me trouble already haha.

tmenz, May 2, 10:14pm
I've had 3 Cortinas - the latest was a Mk 5 wagon - the main tools I needed for that were a rust repair kit and silastic to stop the water getting in!
Mechanically didn't need any tools!

i-n-horz, May 2, 10:16pm
Yes! jumper leads.that too.

crzyhrse, May 2, 10:16pm
Jumper leads, tow rope, old serpentine belt that was just a little cracked, electrical tape, water (doubles as coolant in a bind) tear top canned food and utensils! LOL

intrade, May 2, 10:23pm
tools inside a 2010 opel big station wagon
no spear tyre but 1 toolbag with agas oxy charge and sealent cartridge to blow seal a puncture. thats all there is.

phillip.weston, May 2, 10:35pm
mine's a Mark5 wagon and it has a small leak but no major rust, but I did have the carb giving trouble in such that it would refuse to start, especially after hot starting and parked up a hill. Sorted now with a carb strip down and rebuild. but still a few more things to fix. window winder mechanism, whine from the diff, etc etc

waikatoboy, May 2, 10:53pm
After years of driving cars from the late 60s , onto say the early 80s, I alway carried a full tool box lol ,socket sets , crescents , screw drivers of all sizes,all manner of things.it must have weighed 20kgs at least.Then we bought a car from the 90s, fuel injected auto,whole thing covered in plastic.I would not know where to start ,so now just one of those starter things , because the kids used the radio while I was in a meeting once, and we had to PAY to get a start.
Tow rope, rubber mallet, because I have arthritis , and cant undo wheel nuts like I once could ,a crescent and 2 types of screw drivers.

racetoy, May 2, 10:59pm
toyota special .3 spanners and a double ended screw driver all wrapped up in a vinyl pouch with the wheel brace.oh yeah and a folding wheel chock

johnf_456, May 2, 11:01pm
That to, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, jack, wrench, basic screw drivers and tools, then cell phone.

richardmayes, May 3, 1:44am
All the spanners, sockets, screwdrivers, a test lamp and a few odds & sods.

Had to repair a heater hose on the side of the road one night a month ago. Hell of a lot quicker than waiting for the AA to turn up.

pollymay, May 3, 1:57am
FIRE EXTINGUISHER, must have. Should be compulsery to carry one, they have saved my ass so many times and it's $30 for a 1kg. It's the cheapest insurance you will ever have.

Apart from that I keep a couple spanners, pliers, waterbottle (both for the car or if you really break down out in the boondocks), couple screwdrivers, jumper leads and a knife. Knife is most important, the ultimate tool imo

therafter1, May 3, 3:05am
An AA plus card and a cell phone lol

therafter1, May 3, 3:06am
Oooooops, I was too slow, read the first post and launched intoprint lol . call me John if you like !