Volkswagen Passat

Page 1 / 2
zeke16, May 4, 5:49am
How good are these! Whats a good site to get car reviews, like the lemon guide used to do!

mugenb20b, May 4, 6:13am
Get a 2.2 or 2.4 litre Toyota Camry. Even though it's a boring car with less safety features, it will last three times longer than a VW.

intrade, May 4, 6:26am
ummmmm i disagree a toyota will be rusted way sooner then a fully galvanised passat. What will cost more to run and fix mecnically is another story.
What passat are you thinking about! I would probably get a W8 ;)

rovercitroen, May 4, 6:33am
Mate has had a 98 or 99 Passat for 8 years. He has liked it but is the first to admit it has cost quite a lot to keep on the road. Blown turbo, but probably due to poor maintenance before he got it, minor but expensive computer and electrical faults, lots of suspension and steering parts replaced. Now at over 200,000 ks the transmission is playing up so he has just bought a 2007 NZ new Passat with low kms. Overall I think he must be a happy Passat owner.

zeke16, May 4, 6:47am
thanks people. it put me off. i almost veered away from bmw which seem to be so reliable, especially the 5s. i was considering a 2001 passat with about 100,000 ks. considered audi a6, but for the same money i think i go back to the bmw 5s.

ryanm2, May 4, 6:57am
my mate recently purchased a 3 series bmw, ex japan, his troubles has steered me towards VW.

primemeat, May 4, 7:06am
Hmm. Had a mate with a Passat Neuspeed version. They had all the same problems as above. Warranty company lost bigtime with that one.

ralphdog1, May 4, 10:39am
Does Jazz have a blockage!

ralphdog1, May 4, 11:05am
But it has been more than 5 hours.Something is wrong.

sr2, May 4, 11:17am
Well said; some people are just destined to end up living a beige coloured, sensible lifestyle.

zeke16, May 4, 8:46pm
I wont buy japanese, except I do like mazda 626 a lot. i am a bit undecided now about the passat. the one i am considering is a wagon, 2.6, 2001, leather, silver, 100,000 k, $10,000, import.

rovercitroen, May 4, 8:49pm
That looks like a nice car. V5 is the one to go for as no cambelt. Changes can be expensive although only every 120,000 kms on those VWs.

dolsen, May 4, 11:06pm
I thought his message board privileges were revoked by trademe :-(

phillip.weston, May 4, 11:15pm
really! I wonder if we'll have some peace and quiet in here then :P (I'm kidding jazz in case you are reading this)

phillip.weston, May 4, 11:16pm
I hope you mean the Mazda6/Atenza, the 626 is a horribly boring car in comparison.

tigra, May 4, 11:18pm
Anybody seen a VW Phaeton!

hotrodtodd1, May 4, 11:25pm
W8s are an orphan car, and VW really screwed up on the auto trans (ask me how I know this). They have all the trappings of a Euro luxury car, placed in a plain Jane body. Sort of like an undercover Audi. Good for those who want to blend in.

Bay Prestige in Tauranga sold 8 W8s new & had to replace two transmissions under warranty ($30,000 each back then). And apparently, the failure rate was pretty typical.

intrade, May 4, 11:34pm
yes vw dont have terrible good automatic transmission on any older slush-box dsg is different with different potential problems. If i buy a auto i put 5 grand asside for a trans rebuild. manual is what to get but there you got to buy a whole new clutch and flywheel when clutch is worn out costing over 2 grand also if you do it your self you can be just under 2k

321mat, May 4, 11:40pm
I have. and I would kill to own one!

But not the slack-jawed NZ examples. I want the big W12

321mat, May 4, 11:43pm
Geez. it sounds like VWs are made from paper mache, the way they are wearing out. well, either that or they are assembled by Subaru - a company well known for dodgy autos and horrendous wear and component failure rates.

intrade, May 4, 11:44pm
actuarly mitsubishi have the worst auto transmission.

hotrodtodd1, May 5, 12:19am
The W8 is a great car with a sub-par transmission. And apparently the auto in the Towrag V10 TD is nowhere near as strong as the engine in front of it.

After owning the W8, I wouldnt buy a Towrag, simply because of the transmission. Pity that.

richardmayes, May 5, 12:28am
Take a walk on the wild side, buy a VW Passat.

321mat, May 5, 1:11am
With a wing

hotrodtodd1, May 5, 2:49am
But not a twin blade one, because they are gaaaay aye