Suzuki Baleno/Cultus what are they like?

mr_lovebug, May 2, 12:20am
Are there any problems with them or anything to look out for!

How do they rate against the Toyota Corolla's!

tgray, May 2, 12:20am
They don't.

mr_lovebug, May 2, 12:30am
So are they okay or not!

tgray, May 2, 12:38am
They are nowhere near as nice as corolla's or similar and a test drive will confirm this. Fairly cheap and nasty and the prices reflect that.

mr_lovebug, May 2, 12:46am
The Corolla is way over priced.

Looking at other options that are out there.The Suzuki Baleno's are much cheaper & offer a much lower K's with newer cars for the same money.

Eg,a 1999 corolla with 190,oooks s worth $7k,a Suzuki Baleno with 150,oooks (or less ks) worth $7k will get you a 2001 or newer.

I personally had a toyota & it was wrost car that I have ever owned (thats my personal experinece).

therafter1, May 2, 12:51am
My personal opinion is that there is a slight difference in build quality, finish etc, but bang for buck there is beggar all wrong with the Baleno/Cultus, and using your break down I wouldn't have a problem going for the Baleno/Cultus . they are not that bad a car for what you pay.

mr_lovebug, May 2, 1:02am
Is a Suzuki Baleno/Cultus better than a Nissan Sentra!

Thats what it will be replacing.Ungrading from a 92 Nissan.

therafter1, May 2, 1:20am
Not in my opinion no, the Sentra's have been around a long time and have a great little engine in them. They are a bare bones basic simple little car and with regular servicing they go forever . they also have the advantage of chain driven cams, as opposed to a belt on the Baleno/Cultus.

mr_lovebug, May 2, 1:49am
Might put that foward to the person that I am helping with the car hunt at the moment.

Thanks for the advice & thoughts.

berg, May 2, 2:08am
The one thing I will say for the Suzuki is they are bulletproof. Yep, they may be a bit cheaper in the plastics and soundproofing but they give very little trouble. Used to work for Sukuki and have since owned a few.

mr_lovebug, May 2, 2:27am
Now that is what I have heard.

I understand Suzuki's are less wel known & maybe cheaper with less soundproofing etc.

Still better to get newer car than buy something older with higher k's.

mr_lovebug, May 2, 2:28am
Thanks for the advise on the Nissans,thats worth a look at too.

franc123, May 2, 4:31am
Not all of them are belt, the 1.8L (J18 I think!) engine is a chain drive.Having driven and worked on a few they DO have a cheap feel about them, many have annoying squeaks and rattles even with moderate km's up, I'd put them about on par with Hyundai as far as quality goes.Parts can be a bit of a nuisance and a little pricey, have often found that genuine was the only option for a lot of stuff where there would normally be an aftermarket option available if it was a Sentra or Corolla or Familia etc.

thejazzpianoma, May 2, 6:52am
Are you looking for manual/auto, wagon/sedan and what sort of price range!

mr_lovebug, May 2, 8:28am
It's for a friend (best man from my wedding)who is a surfer,wants a manual and either a hatchback or wagon,has to be able to carry surfboard in the car & people.He wants to spend little as possible (6K or less) and wants a 2001 with less than 150,ooo ks.
He more than likely also wants a NZ new too. (has a NZ car now).

Hence most of the above is found in Suzuki Baleno/Cultus.

What else would fit those boxs!

countrypete, May 2, 8:43am
The Cultus won't be NZ new so bear that in mind.The 1.8 Baleno wagon is a great value car, the earlier models had air bags and ABS brakes (first japanese family-priced car to offer that).The 1.6 is an extremely economical car - count on around 45mpg for a manual version, but the 1.8 uses a little more.Watch out for CV joint noises, and check the stereo and the fan controls.All else is problem free.

shelleigh, May 2, 9:06am
I've had my 96 Corolla 1.6 station wagon for over 12 years and have have no problems at all with it thank goodness :) Is reliable, economical and peppy although I am going to upgrade to a later model car later this year but only because I will be able to afford to. Otherwise I'd be happy to keep the red "rocket" :)

peacebird15, Jan 5, 1:44pm
Had our 1.8 baleno for quite a few years. The thing I dont like about it is that I cant find anything to dislike about it, its so practical I have no excuse to buy something more interesting. The fuel economy is FANTASTIC. On the open road I have given it death, (trips from Nelson to hokitika doing 130 to 150kmph unless stuck behind people)And it NEVER does less than 13kms per litre and if your under 130 mostlyit does over15 km per litre. Checked it a few times, and it always does it. freaking impossible. Its done a waterpump and radiator. Chain cam engine is solid, has some power, and fits a fair bit of gear in. And unlikely to get stolen.
Would get another one.