I'm looking for a reliable cheap to run car

bargn, Apr 26, 10:35pm
Hi everyone,
I am looking at spending a max of $7K. I like Toyotas but they seem more expensive than Nissans and other brands. I want something over the year 2000 or newer.Any faults and benefits about cars would be good to know.Thanks

kcf, Apr 26, 10:43pm
what size car do you need!eg: how many people do you need to fit in normally.Do you need an auto, or can you drive ether transmission!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 1:27am
Good to see your getting in quick on that one!
Wait too long and some sicko might come along and try to talk them into something Italian.

pollymay, Apr 27, 1:41am
I'm still intrigued by the volvos, you can pick them up on here for 4k sometimes and some are detuned. Apparently you can chip them for a 300hp cruiser given the right engine/model, sounds like an awesome tow vehicle, you can stick your falcons

r15, Apr 27, 1:44am
diesel corolla / caldina

plenty around with minimal service history and 300,000+++ kms on the clock.

wont look nice, wont travel nice, wont sound nice, wont be fast, but will likely be somewhat reliable.

will cost between $500-5000 depending on condition and wont be 2000+

a 2000+ under 7k that is reliable and cheap to run is likely going to be a bloody ugly car anyway

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 1:46am
As much as I quite like Volvo's not sure I would want to be chipping one with an automatic gearbox, especially if I was then going to be doing serious towing.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 2:00am
I don't think its particularly good at all, the Honda, Toyota and Mitsi alternatives all have much better chassis

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 2:05am
Not by the years we're talking about.

If anything Nissan had a worse rust problem than Honda in the mid-late 90s

pollymay, Apr 27, 2:50am
Eh I tow huge loads with the windom which are not known for the best box in the world, a big trans cooler would be a must have though. Plus the 4wd models would be great cause I take my racecar to gravel rallies and that means going into a deep damp forest, my fwd just can't do that well.

bargn, Apr 27, 4:54am
I'm looking at a sedan, hatchback or liftback.Preferably manual. Preferably Jap.NZ new would be good.150k or less on the clock. Roof racks a bonus.I need to fit a 6'4 surfboard ( in car) and a minimum of 2 people.Comfortable would be good also.

bargn, Apr 27, 5:13am
Hey what do you guys think of Toyota Cavalier!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 5:31am
An XC70 or similar will be great for towing so long as you are not towing something extremely heavy. I still don't think chipping one and then subjecting it to towing is a good idea though.

phillip.weston, Apr 27, 5:49am
Hang on, didn't you own that a while ago too!

mr_lovebug, Dec 20, 4:45pm
What about.Listing #: 369094397
orListing #: 371876974
Take your pick!