Turbo increase fuel economy?

Page 2 / 2
bigfatmat1, Apr 26, 9:30am
Its called carnot's theory

morrisman1, Apr 26, 9:41am
haha you seem so determined you're right but miss the point entirely. Just give it up.

Specific fuel consumption is measured normally in grams per KW per hour and is a measurement of fuel per unit of power. SFC is increased with a turbo charger because energy is recovered from the exhaust and thats used to increase volumetric efficiency. Get it!

morrisman1, Apr 26, 9:44am
True but in reality the arguement would be if a 2.0 N/A car was more or less efficient than a 1.4L turbo while doing the same work. The 1.4 is going to have a higher manifold pressure and less waste is going out the exhaust but another factor is with the extra manifold pressure how much 'cooling' or anti-detonation fuel is required on top of stoichiometric or whatever ratio the 2.0 is running.

bigfatmat1, Apr 26, 9:44am
I would disagree A turbocharger may also be used to increase fuel efficiency without any attempt to increase power. It does this by recovering waste energy in the exhaust and feeding it back into the engine intake. By using this otherwise wasted energy to increase the mass of air it becomes easier to ensure that all fuel is burnt before being vented at the start of the exhaust stage. The increased temperature from the higher pressure gives a higher carnot efficiency. Additionally, a higher pressure differential means that less work is required from the valve train so reducing parasitic losses slightly.

quoted from wikipedia

for_an_angel, Apr 26, 9:47am
Hay so EGR systems arn't that bad after all lol

bigfatmat1, Apr 26, 9:49am
hahaha well picked up that why they are there to reduce emissions as well.

morrisman1, Apr 26, 10:08am
just correcting myself since the edit button is gone, I meant to say SFC decreases with a turbocharger. uses less fuel for same amount of power

movnon, Apr 26, 10:20am
so you do get it! my point exacery! refer to post #31 !

morrisman1, Apr 26, 10:22am
haha, I knew what I was talking about all along but wrote it down wrong. You are just trying to turn my simple error in typing what I was thinking into saying that I dont know what a turbo does to specific fuel consumption.

from what you said in #26 it sounds like specific fuel consumption is a new word for you

movnon, Apr 26, 10:55am
specific fuel consumption is another way of saying litre per km at a fixed throttle setting (since when was specific fuel consumption one word!)The real question in post #1 is (does) turbo increase fuel economy!are you going to disagree with . yes!

sr2, Apr 26, 11:13am
Although correct, morrisman??

movnon, Dec 15, 12:58am
you're on to it.