Motor running rough in the wet.

smoothgroove, Apr 23, 3:59am
I have a vehicle with a K20a motor. runs great, etc. Except sometimes, once I have been driving in the rain for ~15mins, there is this nasty sounding rattle that is present intermittently. So far I have not been able to determine if this is originating from the motor, or from the exhaust. By the time I stop, that noise is gone. It is related to the RPM (louder with higher revs). It does cause considerable vibrations in the cabin also.
None of the check lights come alight during these episodes.
Any ideas !

morrisman1, Apr 23, 4:15am
Does water get on the belts!

smoothgroove, Apr 23, 5:29am
Possibly, as one of the inner guards is missing. And that is the side of the motor where the belts are on.

morrisman1, Apr 23, 8:49am
next time you drive in the rain see if water is getting on those belts, it could cause them to misbehave. possibly. its just an idea

smoothgroove, Apr 23, 9:07am
So do you think they are slipping ! Do they need tightening ! Or some anti-slip stuff !

franc123, Apr 23, 9:18am
refitting the inner guard shield would be a good start, its there for a reason.If some other debris like a large stone or even part of a tree branch gets flicked up and put in the path of the belts it can cause them to come off.

johnf_456, Apr 23, 9:23am
Id put the guard back, try wreckers if you cant find it. The guards help protect the belts and pulleys to.

thunderbolt, Apr 23, 10:42am
No anti slip stuff, it will attract every bit of dust and debris it can find and stuff the belt.

smoothgroove, Apr 23, 12:12pm
I will try again to find an inner guard replacement, as the previous owner had removed it. Unfortunately, my previous efforts to locate a used inner guard was unsuccessful, and it would have had to be imported from Japan.

johnf_456, Apr 23, 9:14pm
What sort of car!

smoothgroove, Apr 24, 12:30am
2002 Honda civic hatch / EP3

smoothgroove, Apr 24, 11:28am
None on here

ginga4lyfe, Dec 7, 6:03am
I would say its an electrical fault, are the coil packs damp when this happens! It may pay to go around all your Grounds on the body and the engine and clean them up and tighten them up, maybe also go over any plugs in the wiring harness too, maybe water is getting into a few plugs and causing a short out