Looking for a cheap car

gilligan2, Apr 22, 9:03pm
What can you find me jazz! quite keen on a small euro. budget of 3500-4000

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 9:17pm
Feel like a holiday! Fly up and grab that Punto if Pap's doesn't want it!

On a more serious note, what are you using it for and what are you wanting from it. i.e just something small and/or super economical, something sporty, something to fit the kids in!

Also, how big a hurry are you in, generally the best bargains need a few weeks of looking.

Happy to help, just need a bit more to go on.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 9:22pm
Also, gilligan. Just wondering from your profile, do you do a bit of maintenance etc yourself!

Usually I recommend the safe low maintenance options like the Punto's, but if you enjoy doing the occasional cambelt or even small maintenance/repair itmes etc yourself (or don't mind paying for it) it opens up a world of other vehicles that are still quite economical but are potentially a lot more fun.

gilligan2, Apr 22, 9:31pm
just looking for a cheap run about with enough in it to get around on the open road occasoinally. all the kids have left home so its just for me really. yes i do my oil changes etc.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 9:41pm
O.K well keeping an eye out at turners and on TM for my favourite 2001 or newer Punto is a great start. They actually cruise on the open road really nicely, its really only a bit more road noise that separates the experience from that of a midsize car. They are a bit hard to get in your price range but they do come up from time to time (like the Auckland one)

You might also enjoy a manual Alfa 156 with the 2.0 engine or even a 146. Not quite as safe or economical as the Punto but still surprisingly economical for the power output. These are starting to go quite cheap and are fundamentally reliable, but you may need to do the odd minor thing over time.

The drawback with the twin spark is the quite regular timing belt change, however if you are keeping it a while its a surprisingly easy change to do yourself, you will need a couple of cam lockers and a tdc gauge but they are cheaply bought if you keep an eye out.

Potentially, the 156 etc is fun + economy + great on the open but practical around town.

gilligan2, Apr 23, 4:34am
I like the alfa

thejazzpianoma, Apr 23, 5:25am
O.K I will assume here you have not had an Alfa so if you have feel free to disregard any egg sucking.

The V6 ones like that as great as they are, are quite thirsty so probably no good for your purposes. Likewise be wary of the selespeed versions, thats Alfa's automated manual which is a single clutch unit and unlike VW's much evolved DSG its best avoided both for functionality and reliability reasons.

Just be wary, there is no regular auto offered on small Alfa's of that generation so any reference to tiptronic or auto will be selespeed. Also be wary that the selespeed gear selector can look like a manual shifter at first glance if checking in photos etc.

The Twin Spark engines are generally what you are after. They are twin cam with variable valve timing and obviously run two spark plugs per cylinder. Thats a great mix for economy as well as performance. Don't expect a complete fuel miser but if a combined figure of around 8.5l/100km is not to scary then these could be just the ticket.

They are galvanised so no rust (except for non galvanised trim parts like the steel reinforced rubbers under the windows so check those).The motors are very reliable and last for some serious mileage if maintained, and the good news is many are enthusiasts cars so are well maintained.

The sort of stuff that breaks is usually niggley stuff, plastic brackets that steady the gearlever, the odd electrical quirk that kind of thing. Nothing usually too major in itself, and there is usually plenty of info on the web as to how to fix things without paying a fortune.

As I mentioned before though the timing belt replacement interval is 3 years/60'000km whichever comes first. Its also important that when you do the change you either fit a variator or variator repair kit. If you don't you are likely to have to revisit the procedure before its next due. Aside from that quirk and the extra cost of the plugs (a bit pricey but they last 100K) maintenance is pretty affordable.

The 156 Alfas have the 2.0 Twin Spark and the smaller alfa's can have the 2.0, 1.8 or 1.6 Twin Spark engines. Some earlier 90's Alfa's can also have the boxer engines fitted which are also good but have a different set of quirks.

Anyhow, keep an eye out. I do regularly see the 146 and 156 Alfa's for sale in your price range. Don't expect the ultra low running costs of the Punto but I think for someone who rides Aprilia's and likes Porsche's you will find the little bit of extra running cost and effort pays big dividends in enjoyment.

Your mechanical mindset will also mean with minimal effort you can get hold of parts at a really good price at cambelt change time etc.

Might be worth keeping an eye on any local ones (regardless of cost) that you can have a drive in. Also, the Alfa Club is usually really helpful and a call to your local rep explaining what you are looking for might be worth while, as you might get a well maintained one thats not on TM. There is also likely someone in the local club who would be delighted to show off their 146 or 156 and give you a chance to see what they are like.

Good luck with it all!
Considering you liked the looks of the one in the link I think you will really enjoy driving them. Even though the twin spark has a modest output it still performs very well and makes a suitable Alfa sound when fed the berries. Handling is great as well. They really are more than just a badge, even the smaller engined Alfa's are a bit special.