Painting car

Page 1 / 2
wilco420, Apr 22, 8:28am
what is the better product, glasurit or ppg. Not worried about cost just want the best product.

rob_man, Apr 22, 8:33am
Probably Glasurit when all is said and done, you're hardly putting it up against the best of its competitors though.
There are a lot of paint systems out there.

gunhand, Apr 22, 8:43am
Id go with, Spies Hecker, PPG then Metalux. What is it you are doing!
PPG is a quality product but piss poor in the matching department and the reps always have an excuse for that.
Spies is well recognised throughout the world and have been around forever. Pricey if you use there top line products but very very good.
Metalux if you want a quality job but on a budget (but your not).
I cant comment on others as havent used them enough to make a comment.
Used ressene products and dont think much of them.

wilco420, Apr 22, 8:45am
Ok. So i have been told that glasurit is a great product. looking at painting my car that is bare metal at the moment and looking at putting the best product on. Any other options!

wilco420, Apr 22, 8:47am
Sorry gunhand, takes a while for me to type! XA falcon.

gunhand, Apr 22, 8:50am
Theres plenty out there and there all "the best" but you should stick with known established brands. Theres good reasons paint shopsin NZ use mostly PPG and Spies and metalux alot now.
Ive seen shops try others because the reps talked them into it only to change back.
Spies and PPG have one products that you can use one reducer or hardner if you want where as some others have specific products for each item. Can get expensive and confusing.

gunhand, Apr 22, 8:52am
Keeping it factory or other!
House of Kolor also up there for custom paints.

rob_man, Apr 22, 8:53am
Another good qualitysystem is Sikkens.

wilco420, Apr 22, 8:57am
Looking at paintingtwo tone , grey,dark metalic green,Am just geting a lot of different stories about what is the best product.

wilco420, Apr 22, 8:59am
Also what is your opinion on spritz.

gunhand, Apr 22, 8:59am
Are you doing it yourself!
Are you going the GT way or other.

gunhand, Apr 22, 9:01am
Not ringing any bells as far as a paint goes, but theres heaps out there as there are tyre types LOL.
Someone might know about it though.

gammelvind, Apr 22, 9:02am
I am a paint rep, and happen to sell ppg. What I will say is that the paint brand if you stay with the main brands discussed above is irelevent, the most important part is the preparation and the skill of the painter. All of the brands have amazingly skilled techs developing them only to have all that work destroyed by some muppet with a spraygun.

rob_man, Apr 22, 9:03am
Not keen on spritzfiller myself, they do a good job of burying bad panelbeating but are too porous for my liking. Better off to use a good 2 pack primer to do your buildups and blocking out.
Get the panelbeating right and you shouldn't need it.

gunhand, Apr 22, 9:06am
Id agree %100 with that.Just because someone has used X paint for 10 years then trys Y paint and didnt like it dosent mean it is no good. Each brand has its own quirks and methodsthat take time to figure although most are basicly the same in application.

gunhand, Apr 22, 9:06am
Now ive heard of it LOL

rob_man, Apr 22, 9:07am
They're all adequate when used by the right applicator as Claus pointed out above.
You can't attribute a good paint job to the material alone, that would be like attributing a win at the race track to a brand of car without mentioning the driver.

wilco420, Apr 22, 9:07am
Am at the stage of trying to find a good painter, and believe me it is not easy (need someone who is passionate about painting). My Panel beater works for a very reputable panel shop in chch and i have spent a lot of money on the car so far. Sort of gt replica but customising to make it unique.

gunhand, Apr 22, 9:10am
Hot rod clubs, falcon clubs and so on, ask these guy they should know good painters. But always ask to see there work.
Some are cheap and some charge the going rate not like me but im a mug LOL.
You wanting a private job or through a shop!

wilco420, Apr 22, 9:14am
Private job. Car has taken 5 years so far so i only want to paint it once. Goes without saying!

gammelvind, Apr 22, 9:17am
Evercoat have a very nice 2 pack sprayfiller called feather fill which gets over some of those early spritz problems such as shrinkage and crazy cracking. Basically it is a liquid form of conventional polyester filler (bog) which is great for restos as it will fill those small wrinkles without resorting to huge spreads. A tip; it works best with a 3.0 tip gun, smaller you may as well use a high build primer.

gunhand, Apr 22, 9:17am
Cool, Wouldnt have thought it would be that hard to find one up ypur way. who does your panelbeater recommend.

wilco420, Apr 22, 9:34am
Panelbeater is very fussy, there are painters at his work but he is hesitant about using them. Have read and will research all the info given by everyone. Just wish i could find a painter who was confident with using a product and could guarantee a good finish. I do realise i am doing a cash job, but who wants to gamble $2000 in product.

gunhand, Apr 22, 9:41am
Its good to finally see a realistic person asking about paint on here. Most seem to think a crate of piss 2 spray cans and half a day should get them a show finish.

gammelvind, Apr 22, 9:45am
Come on Mark, 2 spray cans, I would have thought 1 would do it. Lol