Driving hours before sitting restricted.

dollydot, Apr 17, 2:30am
Just wondering how many driving hours are recommended before sitting your restricted driving test.I thought I heard recently that young drivers were not doing anywhere enough hours before sitting their restricted and this was a concern. The number mentioned needed was between 100 and 200 hours.Unsure where I heard this.Son is about to sit his restricted but I feel he needs more hours.Of course he's very keen to go ahead to the next step.He's a sensible guy who won't be a boy racer but I want him to be well prepared before he is driving independently.

pollymay, Apr 17, 2:37am
It's not a magic number, it's when you are capable and have experienced enough of NZ roads to be comfortable in most situations.

Some people need idiotically large hours cause they are
A) Thick
B)No natural nack and incapable of grasping it
C)Thick

Up to them if they are ready, if they weren't then obviously their judgement is off or the instructor was an anal picky person less worried about safety and more about how they left the wipers on a bit long for their taste.

berg, Apr 17, 2:44am
Gawd, has anybody been watching the Aussie driver licence show. I wouldn't let most of them drive a nail let alone a car. People either pick it up really quick or just don't get it and it takes ages. No real hard and fast rules

dollydot, Apr 17, 2:45am
I know there's no set number but did hear a rough guideline and the concern that young drivers are not well enough prepared. Obviously you go by the confidence and ability shown by the young driver. I'm not talking about someone who is not managing too well but the average young driver who's getting on quite well learning the skills required. Our son initially started learning with his Dad and practices with him now he has had about 6 lessons with an instructor. He'll ask her today how close she thinks he is to sitting the restricted.

dollydot, Apr 17, 2:47am
I would not like to be a driving instructor at all!But in saying that some of them do a really good job knowing how to actually teach safe driving techniques. They are good at undoing some of the not so good habits us well intentioned parents may have taught our kids.

berg, Apr 17, 2:52am
Find out just how ready they are by throwing a curveball at them one day. Scream "child" or something simular from the passengers seat and see just what the reaction is. I have seen people panic and mash the gas or just let go of the wheel etc when this has been done.
Remember, a good driver can get themselves out of trouble. A better driver does not allow themselves to get in that position in the first place.

pollymay, Apr 17, 3:05am
Lol implying NZ drivers won't put you in a situation by not giving way or just in general bad driving.

I just about crashed when my mum yelled from the passenger seat, we were coming up to an intersection and I was just going for a gap when she yelled stop and grabbed at the gearshift but I couldn't cause it was wet so the front brakes pinched and I got on the gas and flicked it around the roundabout. I actually got ticketed by a cop that saw it and when I asked what the hell was so urgent I had to stop in an intersection she said "oh I saw a cop watching you" I stopped letting her in the car after that, she was the same person that meant I had to get my license to drive to high school cause she lost hers for stealing my car I drove for my learners and crashing it in a DUI. Anyway rant over.

dollydot, Apr 17, 3:09am
Shouting at any driver is not helpful. Just make sure they are taught what they might have to do in an emergency. Just being on the road in NZ you have to be prepared for the idiots we see everyday driving badly.They are not just the young drivers also.The driving arrogance here is pretty bad at times. Not just lack of skills but plain bad manners like not merging evenly etc.I have driven in UK and Australia also and think NZ is probably the worst.

berg, Apr 17, 3:13am
Try riding a motorbike in NZ. A big percentage of Kiwi drivers are nothing but arrogant ignorant pillocks.

dollydot, Apr 17, 3:26am
Yes, I agree with you. Motorbike/bicycle riders need to be given more space.I'm quite conscious of that and often come across this when I'm driving near home SH58 around Pauahatanui inlet, no room to pass and often cyclists on the road.Drivers just need to wait until they can safely give a rider lots of space if car drivers want to pass otherwise just wait. There's been some terrible preventable accidents recently involving innocent cycle riders.

zirconium, Apr 17, 4:05am
https://www.practice.co.nz/#/about

From the FAQ page: The NZ Transport Agency and the ACC recommend that learner drivers practice for at least two hours every week, and a total of at least 120 hours supervised driving before they sit the restricted test. :) - Statistically much less chance of an accident. (40% according to the web site)

dollydot, Apr 17, 4:25am
Thanks zirconium, that's what I was after!Need to up Mr 16's hours behind the wheel.

michael.benn, Apr 17, 6:05am
Though I do agree, some bikers are nothing but ignorant of the road rules. IE. Passing me going 70-80 in a 50 zone on the other side of the road.

Don't tell me it doesn't happen because it does =/

zirconium, Apr 17, 8:09pm
You are welcome. :) - miss 15 is getting close to enough hours, and we think she is doing fine, but she is nervous (VERY nervous) about driving on her own in Auckland traffic.- It is quite difficult to understand all the decisions you need to make at roundabouts, traffic lights, and on double laned roads, and does take a lot of practice.

There is an excellent but not very well publicised DVD put out by the AA called "Driving Test Success" - it is pretty dry and boring, but covers a lot of information in very simple pictorial form with commentary. :) - good luck for your boy.

dollydot, Apr 17, 9:58pm
Thanks zirconium.Your daughter is doing very well to be learning in the busy Auckland traffic.I'm a confident driver but don't want to drive in Auckland (we are in Wellington)At least once she has gained her confidence she will be OK driving anywhere.I have driven in London when I was younger-busiest roads I have ever been on! couldn't do it now!All the best for your daughter.

intrade, Nov 11, 9:53am
you dont need to drive 100 to 200h . What you do want is about 10 to 30h with a good driving instructor from when you have 0 driving skills.
This would prevent you developing wrong habbits that could potentially fail your test.after this and with the ok from the driving instructure you could pass the full license .