Advise Please brought car of TM and its stolen

Page 1 / 2
sebagai, Apr 15, 7:42am
Hi less than a week ago I brought a car of TM and did my online checks as you would, then it turns out that the car has had a rebirth and it was stolen more then 6 years ago, what would you do! previous owner had no idea either and now I need to get my $ back to get something else where do I stand, its passed all WOF and AA checks and no one has picked it up

carstauranga001, Apr 15, 7:58am
how did you find out it's stolen !

sebagai, Apr 15, 8:04am
my dad is an ex cop and we noticed some stickers had been hiding and etched number plate that had been cut off with a grinder, the vin kms colour everything matched but after dad did some snooping we were advised it had been stolen years ago, now I want my money back as its only been since last thursday.

petermcg, Apr 15, 8:06am
Its your car now mate dont worry about it.

sebagai, Apr 15, 8:09am
well thats what I thought but the insurance will now want it back and I am going to have to take the guy to small claims court to refund and take it back

robinm1, Apr 15, 8:10am
If you bought it privately, you probably have very little chance of getting your money back, if you bought it from a dealer, then you would have a pretty good chance of getting your money back I'd say. Even if you take the seller thru the court system and win, you may only get $10.00 a week for ever!

sebagai, Apr 15, 8:13am
yeah its frustrating isnt it as I had to borrow from family to get this car as the old ones about to pack up, i just cant beleive no one at all noticed it not even VTNZ and AA

tnt423, Apr 15, 8:14am
Good luck getting your money back, if the cops find out it will be taken off you and given back to the insurance company or the old owner if they didn't have insurance, basically you will lose out if the cops find out. Best case you could buy it off the insurance company.

sebagai, Apr 15, 8:17am
yeah thought as much.thanks anyway you guys rock

aragorn2003, Apr 15, 8:20am
flog it off to someone else

johnf_456, Apr 15, 8:33am
Utter dumb advice

thejazzpianoma, Apr 15, 8:36am
I would have thought this is cut and dry, even without the courts. The seller sold you stolen goods and can potentially be prosecuted for doing so.
I would advise them to refund you a.s.a.p or you will take up the matter with the Police.

carmedic, Apr 15, 8:41am
Wrong Jaz
Mens rea

neville48, Apr 15, 8:44am
Do not give that car up to anybody. possession is 9/10ths of the law as the old saying goes. hide it away whilst you fight the fight but do not give it up to anybody, give it up .you loose, no leverage, nothing,you will get a judge to say you were ripped off and junior has to pay you back but 9 times out of 10.junior aint got no money. dont give it up,hide it if you loose and all is wasted, wreck it and sell the parts or burn it,dont give it up.

chris241, Apr 15, 8:53am
what sort of car is it

ginga4lyfe, Apr 15, 8:59am
why not find out who the original owner was through carjam ownership history report, phone them and ask them how to approach it, its no good jumping through a million holes when you could simply contact the original legal owner and get him to sign off that the vehicle was his, was never recovered, knows the story and isnt concerned about its recovery or were abouts anymore, then you and him ( possible ) can go down to the police station and file a report on whats happened, then hopefully they can drop its stolen status

But then again, I would advise descression as well, as the old owner may just be a prick even if his old insurance did cover his loss at that time

kcf, Apr 15, 10:05am
if it was an insurance claim payout car after being stolen, then the "owner" will be the insurance company that paid for the write off donkey's years ago.

stevo2, Apr 15, 6:07pm
And just remember, If/when you sell it on, the same applies.
Cheers Stevo

carmedic, Apr 15, 7:09pm
If YOU now sell it, its YOU that commits the crime as you are aware of the vehicles legal status.

serf407, Apr 15, 7:20pm
Seek a ruling from the insurance ombudsperson before approaching insurance companies.
http://www.iombudsman.org.nz/common-questions/motor-vehicle-insurance

Otherwise crush and dispose of.

fordstar1, Apr 15, 10:47pm
What Kazbanz said. Because it was once listed stolen, doesn't mean it remains stolen. If it's currently legit, you have no legs to stand on to get your money back.

singing1, Apr 15, 11:18pm
Is it a good car! Do you like the car! Are you happy with the price you paid for it! If Yes then why would you want to get your money back!

sebagai, Apr 16, 8:03am
Well effectively I have been told I only own the number plate and vinz plate and NOT the car, the car could be taken off me anytime, and i end up with nothing

sebagai, Apr 16, 8:04am
but online the car is totally legit down to the kms and colour, its a messy situation

petemun, Apr 16, 8:29am
nah the govt owns those lol. Ring up police ask if the cars ben reported stolen. easy