Lots of car for $2000

Page 1 / 2
robotnik, Apr 11, 10:56am
The price is probably a bit high actually, because a German car of that age and mileage will likely bein need of some costly repairs. I'd take a Japanese car over an old Audi anyday.

ginga4lyfe, Apr 11, 10:58am
nah 2 hundy thousand kms is ok on those euro cars, so long as its been maintained correctly

robotnik, Apr 11, 11:02am
The autobox is probably going to fail soonish at those kms. That's $4000 to fix right there.

sw20, Apr 11, 11:20am
What a ray of sunshine you are.

shazeldazel, Apr 11, 11:26am
atleast the cambelt has already been changed :) Its an a** hole of a job, and parts arent cheep either

autocars1, Apr 11, 7:14pm
You can't get shite for $2000, what you pay for is what you get.Get in while you can because in November this year the rules change and you won't be able to get a car out of japan older than 2007, that means what's here is here and the prices are going to go ballistic. There will be no more cheap cars. What's here is here.and the prices will rise accordingly.we have 6 months supply on the deck so if you are considering a car, now si the time to get because you will pay thousands more next year.

carstauranga001, Apr 11, 7:42pm
2007! Mate, get your facts right before "quoting" as though you know what you are talking about.

Edit to add. Rule change is 1 Jan 2012, not November.

galex, Apr 11, 7:53pm
Hi can you please explain further for a non trade person like me! From 2012 only 5 year old cars and under are going to be allowed into NZ, is that right!

smac, Apr 11, 8:17pm
Ya ya.same was said when the first round of emission rules came in, and frontal impact.doesn't happen.

kcf, Apr 11, 8:43pm
Yes, because it turns out that we actually have a crapload of cars in the country already.So we aren't exactly at much risk of suddenly running out of cars, just because the supply of Japanese used imports has to be a few years newer

intrade, Apr 11, 9:20pm
its proof enough that it will be true as you cant find anything for 2grand right now cars worth 2 grand scrapheaprs will be sold for 4k after that date and everyone will be fighting over 3000$ carsas no one has 15k for 3 year old used imports.
I sold my 89 telstar ford when it was 8 year old with 280,000km for just 1800$ same car is now asked 2grand plus still after all them years gone.
back then you could get a fresh import for 3500 to 6000$

intrade, Apr 11, 9:25pm
befor frontal impact standerds and emission came in affect i had problems selling even a 600$ mazda capella with new wof.same car be gone in a flash now for 1800$

phillip.weston, Apr 11, 9:38pm
Yes I too agree gone are the days of finding $500 cars with a WOF & Reg, but guess what - this was around long before the flood of imports came in. $500 back then isn't quite the same as $500 these days.

I think it's going to hurt those dealers who primarily import in $5000-15000 cars from Japan, and have no plans to deal with the already abundant supply of good condition/quality NZ-new cars already here in the country. There are thousands of cars regularly coming up for sale ex lease etc, so much so that there is a flood on the market of particular make/models.

phillip.weston, Apr 11, 9:40pm
also I do agree that is alot of car for $2000, unfortunately people are scared of high kms. It's ironic that I have a car nearly ten years older with similar kms, on a no reserve auction also, and it's probably going to go for 75% of the value of that Audi - it certainly isn't anywhere near 75% of the car that the Audi is - the difference is that it's Japanese, and it's a supposed 'unreliable' Japanese maker also. The mind boggles really.

phillip.weston, Apr 11, 9:46pm
I think there's a few reasons why that auction bombed also

-it's an import as opposed to NZ-new
-high kms
-perceived as being 'uneconomical' and 'unreliable' 2.6L V6 engine
-auction closed at 10:30pm on a Sunday night, perhaps one of the quietest times on trademe
-while there's a few pictures, none of them were really flattering and not really encouraging last minute 'on a whim' bids from people
-that answer to the question on the auction came off quite negative, perhaps put a few other people off

these kind of auctions are the best to be buying from, so long as you take the time to go inspect the goods.

jsbike, Apr 11, 11:32pm
people selling cars seem to be the ones who most often bring up the"new rules are comming in so prices will rise, better buy now!". I had a car dealer tell me this at a car yard, when I pointed out that it didnt worry me seeing I already owned a car and that its price would go up too, he didnt really want to talk to me after that

vtecintegra, Apr 11, 11:36pm
It is a sucky engine from a performance/fuel economy aspect though

skyline_guy_r34, Apr 12, 1:53am
I must be missing something. $2050 for a 14 year old car with 241,000kms with a WOF running out this month (no-one could possibly tell what it may need for a WOF from just a handful of pictures) seems pretty fair to me. By no means is it a bargain, neither lots of car for $2000 as it may cost anywhere from $0-$2000 to get its next WOF.

crzyhrse, Apr 12, 2:10am
Lots of trouble for $2k!

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 2:27am
Compare that to spending $2000 on a 15-20 year old Japanese car with an equal amount of high kms under the pretense that it's never going to break down on you, only to find every WOF time you need to replace shocks, bushes, tyres, brakes etc etc which all cars will need eventually.

I think for $2000 I would rather that highish kms A4 than an early 90s Corolla/Pulsar/Civic, at least you would be able to enjoy the drive instead of finding it a chore.

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 2:27am
Lots of not knowing what you're talking about, more like it.

crzyhrse, Apr 12, 2:30am
So you snap up the 'bargain'! Best of luck!

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 2:33am
Had I actually been on the lookout for an A4 for sub $3k or even seen that auction in the closing minutes, I probably would have.

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 2:34am
Am curious to know, if you had $2000 and wanted to go find the best bang for buck car, what would you buy!

crzyhrse, Apr 12, 3:01am
Low mileage mid-90s Falcon/Fairmont. Parts are dead cheap and readily available.