FIAT PUNTO 2001

Page 2 / 2
toysky, Apr 9, 2:42am
ops make that seatbelt and airbag -------- cann;t get a warrant with that!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 9, 3:03am
Thats a shame, the seatbelt light shouldn't worry a WOF but the airbag one will, besides you want to know thats working right.

Did they give you a "buy now" price!

I bet thats why it didn't sell, thought it odd it had stuck around given the estimate.

Its probably not going to be that big a deal to fix. The catch is it needs to be put on a Fiat scanner to tell you where the fault is coming from which is a pain as I wouldn't mind betting Turners wouldn't let you take it to be checked.

If it was me I would see what sort of money they will take for it. If we are talking around $4500 you could still be nabbing yourself a real bargain even after paying for the fault to be fixed.

The common causes of the fault with a Punto can be occupancy sensors in the seat . Another common one can be caused by someone trying to jam something very large into the glovebox. There are other less likely causes as well.

But yeah, if you can get it for a good price and Turners will let you get it thoroughly checked at a Fiat garage and you can get an estimate on the repair it could still be very good buying.

Let me know what you think.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 9, 3:12am
Thinking about this more, I reckon that both lights could possibly be being caused by the passenger seat occupancy sensor.

Pity its not local or I could just pop down with my scan gear and tell you there and then.

kcf, Apr 9, 3:18am
358339032 <-- that March is horrendously overpriced.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 9, 3:34am
Thinking about it more, unlike the Punto's bigger brother the Stilo (which I have done an occupancy sensor on) I suspect the Punto only has a single stage passenger airbag which means it likely uses a microswitch in the seatbelt to for-fill a similar function.

This is most likely where the fault for the seatbelt light is coming from and I guess there is a possibility it may be causing both.

You may find that plugging the seatbelt in and giving it a wriggle around makes one or both lights go off, try that for passenger and drivers seats but you will need the drivers buckle done up as well while testing the passengers.

toysky, Apr 9, 4:28am
Yep The guy at turners scanned comp its all fixed but it didn;t sell and wants 5,500 .

Just to throw your head into a real spin(done it to my wife lol ) whats thoughts on 1990-1994 mx5 ! yes forget safety

thejazzpianoma, Apr 9, 4:36am
Sweet, well its good buying at that so long as it really is all fixed and they havn't just deleted the fault code for it only to re-fault 1km down the road. That said as mentioned its probably not a big issue to fix but would be nice for them to guarantee the fix for a few days! I would totally be pursuing that if it were its in good nick for that money.

The MX5's are great wee cars and very under rated in my opinion, most of it comes from the "image" more than the car. As a cheap wee sportscar they are hard to beat in terms of what you get for your money.

Not sure I would want to be doing the milage you are doing in one though, its not only going to be dearer to run I think the novelty will wear off for that kind of use.

They make a fun weekend and very usable second car though.

fordcrzy, Apr 9, 8:51am
i used my mx5 as a daily driver for a while and the fun DEFINITLY didn't wear off.if youv'e had a bad day at the office, throw the top down and take the long way home via some twisty bits.MX'5 are pretty bullet proof no real rust issues. the mazda 1600 is reliable as and second hand engines are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP if it all goes pear shaped. only two things to look at are soft top condition(they last 10 years) and gearbox feel(should be silky smooth with a tight and wobble free lever. Agood wheel alignment one an MX5 can change it from dog to racetrack greyhound like no other car can.

fordcrzy, Apr 9, 8:56am
in the 10 years i've owned my MX5 the only breakdown type stuff ive done on it are replacement gearbox,clutch, rekitted rear brake calipers,soft top.apart from that it's just been usual service oil/water/fluids/cambelt

toysky, Oct 14, 1:05am
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-
And a mr2! I had a non supercharged one years ago loved it , look at this 365630887