Driving along & my wheel fell off!

Page 2 / 3
mothergoose_nz, Mar 26, 3:50am
i was out at a restaurant and while i was dining the locals boys watched as a guy removed the wheel nuts on front drivers side wheel of my car.they all waited to see what would happen when the car drove off.well i came out and drove my car and it made a bang like the engine had fallen out.the local boys were having a good laugh.police came and sorted out who had done the deed.he thought he was getting back at someone else.next day police went to his place and my hubcap and nuts were still in the boot of his car.he had his day in court.he wasnt a young fellow either.

raymond00001, Mar 26, 4:13am
The left vs right sounds like an urban myth, reckon its the vibration that unwinds loose ones, same as on an engine its not rotating. When i used to work in a garage had a lady come in, all here nuts were loose, someone must have been disturbed in nite trying to steal her rims. Had a truck trailer wheel nearly come off, wrecked the axle, only 5 of 12 nuts were still there and had been rubbed flat to resemble washers!

pfemstn, Mar 26, 4:44am
yep not unknown to happen generally on older vehicles and nearly always the LH wheels had a wheel come off on me on a Model A Ford! something to watch out on newly refurbished wheels as they will loosen because the paint hasnt been compressed where the wheel nuts go

lookoutas, Mar 26, 4:48am
If you haven't noticed a difference, then you haven't noticed anything to form an opinion on.
It's not a myth, centrifugal force is a fact.

johnf_456, Mar 26, 4:51am
Yup psychics's does not change.

sr2, Mar 26, 6:36am
There is a very good reason why manufacturesstopped using left hand threaded wheel studs in the early 70's, (centrifugal force has nothing to do with it).

cowboy110, Mar 26, 6:47am
Crystal ball gazing has nothing to do with it in this case.

jogjm, Mar 26, 7:03am
I think someone tampered with it

aragorn2003, Mar 26, 7:08am
have you not seen the movie 'rubber' , tyres can have a mind of their own

rsr72, Mar 26, 8:01am
There would be a definite warning felt through the steering that wheel nuts were coming loose before a wheel came off.

gsimpson, Mar 26, 8:20am
It is not the centrifugal force that causes centre lock nuts to come loose and the reason why there are LH / RH. It is because of the direction of the progression of the force around the contact point. A simpler example is the use of threads on bicycle pedals. LH thread on LH pedal. RH thread on RH pedal.

purple666, Mar 26, 8:32am
Or was it to stop people breaking off the studs before realising they were lh thread, used to be a lot of AP5 Valiants out there with only 4 studs on that side

biggal, Mar 26, 9:32am
My 1946 Humber 10 gave me much angst. One king pin (swivel pin) cracked and left wheel fell off after travelling 15 metres from taking off from the traffic lights. I considered myself very lucky. The kingpin on the other side was accidentally found to be cracked just before leaving on a long trip. Wartime
quality parts manufacture was substandard

brapbraprx7, Mar 26, 9:40am
Thats happened to me before aswell

holdenstu, Mar 26, 9:45am
a truck & trailer going past home didnt lose a wheel he lose the hole trailer. the dumb ass didnt put the pital hook on right went over a bump & see ya off into the ditch on the ather side of the road, just miss a car caming the ather way. what a dick

fordcrzy, Mar 26, 10:12am
had a fiat spit 3 wheel studs going up the kaimaisscary!

biddy6, Mar 26, 8:14pm
I had a 1948 chrysler windsor back in the 70s, and we were out on a piss trip, and got a puncture at 11.30 at night in the l/r tyre. I couldn't undo the bloody wheel nuts, so all 5 of us had turns trying to undo,still couldn't get them undone,we were sat on the kerb with a bottle getting handed aroundand then a cop pulls up and says they are lefthand thread on these, and carried on his way. Try that nowadays

lookoutas, Mar 26, 8:40pm
We're all here to learn. What is it!

lookoutas, Mar 26, 8:45pm
So why do the nuts keep undoing very quickly, after the contact point has gone!
Easy to try - Undo a nut on the right and screw it halfway off. Then just loosen one on the left, then start driving.
The one on the right will actually screw up snug, but the left one will be gone if you don't keep an eye on it.

elect70, Mar 27, 2:39am
On my old Victor 2000 the rear axle bearing retainer bolts fell out & the wheel axle assy came out , looked funny in rear mirror with wheel sticking out a foot from the side . Another was landy ,the steering arm nuts stripped& came off , was up in the wopsmanaged to tie it down with # 8 wire

rlnhrd, Mar 28, 8:59am
why didn't you pull over and tite it when it started shaking like the enterprize

justworking, Mar 29, 7:28am
Surprisingly rinhrd it didn't shake or wobble, more just the LOUD noise

taipan4, Mar 29, 7:40am
this is a case when it is good to have tight nuts lol

duggin, Mar 30, 12:29am
Saw this happen to a forklift years ago.Wheel came off and passed the forklift, then hit a car as it was backing out of a parking spot.Stupid driver - never looked.

justworking, Mar 30, 3:39am
Damn!