Timing light versus digital tach

smac, Apr 6, 3:21am
I've got a perfectly good timing light but it only reads to about 2000rpm which can be a pain when wanting to check something further up the range. Been thinking of getting another that reads higher ,but another option is these hand held thingamies:

http://www.break.com/index/twin-baby-boys-having-a-conversation-2034135

Anyone used one! Any idea what they're like for accuracy etc!

antz91, Apr 6, 3:35am
Dude, if your gonna troll, at least hide the link better with tiny url or something.That vid is pretty cool though.

NZTools, Apr 6, 3:37am
I think he just copied and pasted the wrong link. Mistakes happen.

antz91, Apr 6, 3:39am
Ah in that case, nevermind my above post.

johnf_456, Apr 6, 4:30am
What the heck post 1, very motoring related., obviously did not double check before you posted it eh.

smac, Apr 6, 4:54am
More relevant than what you just posted.get back under your rock if you have nothing to contribute.

johnf_456, Apr 6, 4:58am
No its not, just saying you did not double check before posting. Especially when starting your own thread, its not a good note to start off with of kids talking to each other. As for digital tach look around do your homework I have used the cheaper one similar to the auction above and have found them to be crap.

smac, Apr 6, 5:01am
Yeah whatever. One wrong link, ever, and I get two posts pointing it out. You guys need another hobby.

Anyway, crap in what way!

johnf_456, Apr 6, 5:06am
Crap, in the way they break down and give false readings. My friend is who training to be a mechanic bought one of these because they were cheap. Compared to my proper expensive quality one, the one you posted gives false readings, then eventually they just break because of the poor build quality.

bigfatmat1, Apr 6, 7:12am
I have one I use for calibrating tachs I have compared it to rpm of scanner before and was pretty accurate you need to stick reflective tape on the crank pully to obtain a reading

smac, Oct 5, 9:02am
That's largely the use I'm thinking of. As a spin off I could use it when I'm messing about with PC fans. Kinda thinking you can't go wrong for $40.