Is this car collectable?

Page 1 / 3
carstauranga001, Mar 15, 6:00am
and what is it worth now and anyones guess for ten years from now. 2003 Nissan 350Z Fairlady, red, 6 speed and genuine 3900 km's. Interested to know your thoughts. Put her away for the future!

phillip.weston, Mar 15, 6:10am
it'll still depreciate a great deal from now til ten years away, where it will probably reach it's bottom dollar price (perhaps around $5000), where it will only climb up again over the next 5-10 years from then onwards. I'm guessing an '03 done 3,900kms is going to be worth $20k+ currently. Definitely wont be that value in 5-10 years time that's for sure.

carstauranga001, Mar 15, 7:50am
To clarify, I did mean put it away and only take out ocassionally, thus keeping as new and extremely low km's. Will there ever be another as good!

hairypup, Mar 15, 3:10pm
No It is not collectable and never will be

pollymay, Mar 15, 3:43pm
Cars are a really bad investment usually, especially if you are asking a message board for advice on future worth.

lovemore_mbigi, Mar 15, 5:53pm
Never a truer word.

phillip.weston, Mar 15, 9:24pm
Why! Because it's not some crappy American or Australian "muscle car"! People said the same about the 60s/70s Falcons/Monaros etc in the 80s/90s, and now look how much they are worth.

hairypup, Mar 15, 9:30pm
Why! Because it's not some crappy American or Australian "muscle car"! People said the same about the 60s/70s Falcons/Monaros etc in the 80s/90s, and now look how much they are worth.
BECAUSE IT IS JAPANESE! Thats why. Gook made junk will never be collectable

phillip.weston, Mar 15, 9:38pm
I bet half the kitchen and electrical appliances you have in your house are made in Japan or of a Japanese brand.

Saying that Japanese cars will never be collectable is just a false statement. Values of interesting nostalgic cars like the Datsun 240Z, Toyota 2000GT, Colt Galant GTO, Mazda RX-anything are on the rise. Soon once commonplace cars like the Mazda 323 GTX, early Nissan Skylines, early Mitsi VR-4s and Evos etc will be increasing in value too.

hairypup, Mar 15, 10:07pm
Actually Phillip my friend the appliances in my house are all quality except for the new F&P washing machine (which i admit is crap). Only a fool would bother collecting jap crap expecting it to gain in value.

phillip.weston, Mar 15, 10:09pm
you're a narrow minded idiot. Why do you dislike the Japs so much! Is it because of WWII!

esprit, Mar 15, 10:19pm
I wonder if hairypup has tried to buy a KGCP10 Skyline lately. was a time when they were sensible money, now you'll need a supply of a handful of kidneys and some limbs to sell if you want one.

phillip.weston, Mar 16, 12:16am
he probably doesn't have a clue what they are because to him they fall under 'jap crap'. If Japanese cars are so crap, why did Toyota overtake everyone to be #1 decades ago! Yes I too think that most of them can be mundane sh*tboxes made only to go from A to B, but heck you don't get to #1 for no reason at all.

richardmayes, Mar 16, 12:38am
I suspect most of the value that accumulates when this sort of car gets old, is due to the fact that most of them get thrashed to death. so finding a good example, be it mint unused OR well loved and restored, becomes extremely difficult.

If you put it away in the garage, you will be old by the time it starts to appreciate in value, and you will have spent your life with a really nice sports car sitting in your garage that you never really drove.

Buy it, use it and keep it for ever. It's a proper sports car, and the fewer there are left on the roads the more people will start to see this IMHO. Then when the mint boxed ones start to gain in value, give yours a respray and get the major mechanicals overhauled, and you'll be on that train too!

vtecintegra, Mar 16, 1:00am
I'd think the Z33 will end up less collectable than the models than came either side of it.

The Z34 is a more focused sports car and the Z32 was more of a classic grand tourer.

Personally I think the S15 Silvia would be the one to get - one of the last pure sports cars with virtually no electronics and getting difficult to find unmodified/unthrashed even today.

fiatracer, Mar 16, 1:23am
just like a 240Z then. minters can be picked up for about the same as a toyota cavalier, right!

vtecintegra, Mar 16, 1:27am
I still think the Z33 will be more of a 260 or 280z - still collectable but not the best model to have preserved.

foxdonut, Mar 16, 1:31am
Future Japanese classics:

NSX.

That is all.

phillip.weston, Mar 16, 1:43am
^^ hardly affordable, you're looking at $50k+ for one, and they're still going to depreciate further over the next decade or so until their value picks up again. but problem for the Honda is that people are going to pick GTRs up for the same or less price in that time.

carstauranga001, Mar 16, 2:51am
Totally agree with you PW.

carstauranga001, Mar 16, 2:51am
And the dick of the week award goes too. hold the phone it's only Tuesday!

hijacka, Mar 16, 3:14am
Hey! That seems like every jap car apart from subaru lol!

hotrodtodd1, Mar 16, 4:28am
Bryce, I think you know more about cars than we do. (in fact, I know you do and we bought a car of you once)

Im picking that it wont cover the cost of ownership and interest for two reasons:
1)Theres too many of them
2)The 370Z is a better car

With the Holden Munro, Ford GTHO, Chrylser E49 etc, they were the pinnacle of the Australian automotive performance at the time - and for some time after which gave them a nostalgic glow.

I would think the equivalent offering from Japan would be the R32 GTR.

moosie_21, Mar 16, 4:42am
You need to find something rare about a car to be worth storing it. It's non-turbo, it's still being made (in a better form, the 370Z), and you haven't bought it near its rock-bottom price. I say drive it, enjoy it and invest in the stockmarket!

alibobo, Mar 16, 4:50am
gook made junk cot collectable! what about GTRs and im not talking about just the r32s etc etc what about real old prince skylines and the likes of the hakosuka kpcg110 skylines if you want one of those they are 100k+ that is a highly collectible car i believe.