Rediclous cost of ford part. where to buy.

doomy999, Mar 29, 9:25pm
$54 for a plastic knob, that probably contains about 5 cents worth of plastic in it.No moving parts, just a simple little plastic knob that slips on to the light swtich on the dash board. I asked the Ford dealer if he made a mistake and was selling the whole switch, but nope. Over $50 just for the little plastic knob was their price.

Similar to this type of thing.

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/RNB/76901.jpg

I rang a local wrecker but they said they wouldn't waste their time taking one off. Lazy B's. It takes all of 2 seconds to yank it off.

Just wondering where to try! Is it worth trying out of town wreckers or do you think they also cant be bothered. Any thoughts of where to buy, other than ford directly. Or is there a branch of Ford any where that has some common sense that's worth trying. Any thoughts please.

ct9a, Mar 29, 9:28pm
use one off a bbq

hamishcookie, Mar 29, 9:29pm
Pick a part pull your own one off

phillip.weston, Mar 29, 9:39pm
what year/model Ford! What the above don't realise is there probably isn't an abundance of BA+ Falcons at pick a part.

doomy999, Mar 29, 9:40pm
cheers for the great idea's guys.
this tiny little backwater shanty town's lucky to have public toilets let alone a pick a part.

actually, I do have a friend that has a wreckers here that lets me go grab what I want, but they dont have any Fords of that particular vintage.

i contacted these guys, Listing #: 326007005but they'll only sell the whole switch at $40 odd plus courier. Seems rather silly as anyone buying a switch could use the knob off their existing faulty switch.

Miight have to use ct9a's idea for now and wait for my next trip out of town to visit a pick a part joint.

doomy999, Mar 29, 9:41pm
99 fairmont.

phillip.weston, Mar 29, 9:47pm
even so, probably not many AU Falcons/Fairmonts at pick a part. I say keep trying other wreckers or even trademe.

intrade, Mar 29, 9:49pm
you can make a wanted listing and put all parts considered from this and this car like I do.

doomy999, Mar 29, 9:52pm
cheers phillip, your probably right.Something may pop up on trademe at some stage. Or will keep trying the wreckers.
For now I guess it's keep a pair of pliers in the car to turn the headlights on with. Unless of course the barbecue switch fits.lol

cheers guys.

doomy999, Mar 29, 9:52pm
doh, why didnt I think of that. will chuck up a wanted listing. Cant hurt.
thanks for thatintrade.

doomy999, Mar 29, 10:02pm
just car jammed it.
apparently it's a FORD FALCON 1998
Submodel: AU FMT 6C
That's how clever I am. Not even sure what my own car is. :-) Oh well, I was close.

doomy999, Mar 29, 10:06pm
Actually, I do really like that idea because ifthey turn me down, it's not like the beer is going to go to waste:-)

1fordluva, Mar 29, 10:56pm
is it a switch for the windows!
pop it open an clean the contacts,fish showed me that one on my au.

just re read,dont worry lol

doomy999, Mar 30, 12:24am
had to do the same a couple of months back to get windows working again. . :-)

nave12, Mar 30, 4:02am
When you have a bit of time ask these auctions if they can help you with a switch
a switch from earlier models would probably even slip right on.

nave12, Mar 30, 7:16am
Yeah your right as i have just been looking at a few pics.

robbos1, Mar 30, 8:12am
Hmmm.rediculous cost!. If i worked at a 'ford' wrecker. i'd be selling ya the whole heater control unit for at least $95+. min charge is $45+

whqqsh, Mar 30, 8:23am
I needed the same light switch knob, cant remember the exact price but it wasnt that much, from Flag Forward in Mahunga drive Mangere//// & yup, I searched pickapart for ages & theyre either knackered or one of the first bits snapped up

doomy999, Mar 30, 10:01am
Yep, tried both them. Along with half a dozen other wreckers. The all seem to want to sell the switch unit along with the little knob that I need, but obviously I dont need the whole unit, and the cost is about the same as a brand new knob anyone, which kinda makes it a pointless exercise.
It's easy enough to turn on and off with out the knob, so I'm just going to wait until one comes up some where along the line. Im in no hurry.

doomy999, Mar 30, 10:03am
ahhh, dude I got news for you. No you wouldnt. But feel free to keep dreaming.:-)

doomy999, Mar 30, 10:04am
I yanked it off, and lost it. Otherwise I would have just bodgied it up.
Never dreamt they would want $50 odd for a piece of plastic.
Oh well, one will turn up one day.
I'll go with intrade's idea for now and start a wanted add.

cheers for the help everyone.

skin1235, Mar 30, 11:54am
what is the shape of the switch stem, star pointed or a flat!, and correct me if I'm wrong but the element switch of mums stove will fit the flat type locator

pineapplehead1, Sep 12, 2:06am
Why dont you borrow one from a car dealer,