Honda xr 125

biddy6, Mar 29, 6:40am
Hi, neighbours boy has got himself an xr, probably mid 80s, and the headstock bearings feel jerky -stiff etc, I would like to help him fix it before it fails totally, so can anyone direct me to a web page" how to do ".Or give me some basic info on where to start. I'm into cars , but havn't done much with bikes, but it would be good to do it right, Cheers .

mbikeman1, Mar 29, 7:33am
put it on blocks to lift the front wheel off the ground,remove front wheel.then unbolt the handle bars leaving all the cables attached and let it hang on the side of the bike.undo the bolts on either side of the triple clamps and remove the forks from the triple clamp.then undo the top cap nut that holds the headset togeather and remove the top of the triple clamp.then there will be one last nut that usally requires vice grips or the likes.then you will either have to pick up all the ball bearings that fall out (around 30 odd) so be ready to catch them or you will find it has roller bearings (like a wheel bearing on a car).then give them a clean and then decide to either regrease or replace.hope that is plain enough to understand.if you know what your doing with a car then this is easy work

biddy6, Mar 29, 9:31am
Thanks for the info bikeman sounds easy enough to follow.
Cheers

geoff_m, Mar 29, 6:17pm
Plan on replacing the bearings. If they are notchy, the chances are they have Brinnelled the races - you will see indentations where the balls have worn in.
You can get aftermarket taper roller bearing replacements from any dealer - get these instead of the OEM balls and races as they take abuse better and are easier to fit (and often cheaper). Pack well with grease before fitting.
You will need a C spanner for the adjustment nut (the one with the grooves around the edge. You can get them with varying cost and quality from any tool dealer, Supercheap or a bike dealer. You want to adjust the new ones to be just tight enough to have no slop, but not over tight. I usually adjust so the steering has no play, but still flops side to side easily. Take it fora spin the readjust once it has settled in.
You will also need a long punch or piece of steel to drive the old races out.
It is a straightfoward job - allow a couple of hours. It is also a good chance to replace the fork oil while the forks are out, and check the brake shoes, both of which is often overlooked on trailbikes.
Have a look at
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/service_steering_head_bearings/index.html http://www.garagenight.tv/ep-5-replacing-steering-head-bearings/

mechnificent, Mar 30, 3:23am
All you really need to undo is the top triple clamp pinch bolts and then the centre nut. The wheel and forks can all stay together on the lower triple clamp.
Undo the pinch bolts and the centre nut then tap the top triple clamp up and off the top of the forks. Let the top clamp and bars dangle. Unde the second/lower centre nut and drop the forks, wheel, triple clamp down. Knock out the old bearings from the frame, fit new ones and slip it all back together.

biddy6, Sep 11, 7:06pm
Thanks guys, have printedoff your above info so I shouldn't have any problems. Cheers