Fuel economy ,how to ,please help

kevlight, Mar 24, 7:49am
had a stroke a while ago ,brain cells don't work too well, can some one please work out for me the fuel economy of my ute

.Ford03 diesel turbo kingcab canopy, 2wdrive 5 speed manual XL

have a round trip each day of 160 + bits and bobs
first day filled it up at Washdyke BP Timaru 19th march
37.12 litres ULTAt $.1.659 $/L
fuel rebate -1.48 total$ 60.10

Did 178.4 klms

second day shell south end Timaru
P12 techron D19.94 litresAt $33.48
did 179.6 klm

todayshell south end Timaru same place ,same pump fill to click off;

P08 techron D14.44Litres$24 24

did178.3 klms today

speed is generally about 95 ks but today was mostly 100as was running a little late

can you tell me the fuel economy andif it is okay ,Oh! and cos im an oldbarstard MPG would help

thanks regards Kev

morrisman1, Mar 24, 7:52am
economy for first fill, 11.2L/100km

second fill: 8.11L/100km

Just divide the litres you put in by the units of 100km you have done since the last fill. eg. divide 14.44L by 1.78 units of 100km and that gives you L/100km

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 7:54am
Hi Kev,
When you say at the beginning you did 178.4 km was that after or before you filled up the first time!

morrisman1, Mar 24, 7:54am
that second economy figure, if correct, is pretty good for a ute, cant complain about that. The first one, if correct, is a little on the high side.

Do a few days worth and then work it out, fill to fill counting the km in between. Remember different pumps will click at different times

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 7:55am
If you do that then you can just go to this website and convert it. Just remember we use/used UK MPG here not US MPG.

http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fuelconsumptionconversion.htm

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 7:56am
11.2l/100km is about 25MPG
8.1 is about 35 MPG

Thats quite a difference.

You wern't towing a trailer or anything different on the first trip!

Also, be aware when only filling up that much that you need to be vigilant about shutting the pump off at the same point every fill. Easiest is to fill until it clicks off again straight away when you pull the handle on the filler.

morrisman1, Mar 24, 7:58am
Yes it is quite a difference, hence why I added "if correct" to each of my comments about the economy because Im almost certain one of those figures is not right

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 7:59am
lol I just edited along the same lines!

kevlight, Mar 24, 8:49am
monday
I filled up at washdyke ,satat 14;43 pm the first time then did some stop start driving around town then parked up and drovefrom timaru down to Oamaru first thing in monday morning,bloody trucks every where on the open road.Ute empty

Tues
second top up , first thing in morning ,did a little running around Oamaru tosee where places are then returned home with a perk of a ute load of fire wood,stuffed in the back

Wedmorning 6;30 am
Topped up again same pump same gas stationcaltex south end.

Missus said no more bloody wood ! so returned home empty.aren't Ia good boy,though i did want to geta nice cooked dinner.

One more trip tomorrow ,will top up againat 6;30, am this time will take roof rack off if i remember.

Will have to stay in Oamaru for next week as the travelling is making me tired andnext week is shift work ! Bugger; finish at midnight and will be too stuffed to drive 80 kays home in the dark and cold.

thank you guys for working out the numbers,

that isa great help

I can not figure out if my1993 Citroen Xantia auto 1.8petrol8 V,might be worth a trip instead of the ute ! it has a full tank of petrol and is just sitting there sulking,is that a good idea! just down to Oamaru on Sunday , stay week then back on thurs. in the Citroen ,at least its ride is not as rough as the Ute ,but it does not haveas much road presence as the truck .

but it does have air con and a CD playerplus the heater is super hot,might talk my self into it yet;
truck ver Cit ;
tools ver comfort;
perks ver style
presence ver speed
might have to toss a coin
;
any handy hints for economy !

thanks regards Kevwil have to go showe and go to sleep if im to get up a sparrow fart and crack on with a full day slaving at the Warehouse ps
and double psstt;
any one wanting some smashed up palletsfor fire wood and full palletsfor what ever ;tx my cell, from my service advert; andfirst in first served i will be avaiable till 3pm in Oamaru ware house back yard, on thurs
then from next sunday to thurs 2 30pm; to lateas pm' s ;
bring beerthe standard rate of tender
stubbys rule
;can forklift on to your truck ;trailer .or roof ofyour mumsDemo;

morrisman1, Mar 24, 10:03am
tips for economy! I try to accelerate at the the same rate as I slow down when coasting. Avoid using brakes, double your following distance or pass if necessary. pump up your tyres, use the most appropriate gear without laboring or over-revving the engine. Cant really say much more than that. Every time you brake you are converting your dollars into heat so thats the best thing to avoid.

Even with changing load it shouldn't affect your economy too much, adding a trailer will put about 1.5L/100km onto my open road figure which is hardly any.

directorylist, Mar 24, 10:23am
http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm

This might help in future

intrade, Mar 24, 10:41am
dont drink suger free drinks like diat coke. unless you wish to have more strokes and brain tumors.

kevlight, Mar 24, 5:28pm
thanks guys ,im off the coffee x 6 per day! and on too"a spoon of honey in hot water" for my drinks;

it has helped a lot with my health

your advice has been great

off to work now one more trip, Timaru to Oamaru this week.
will see how

the aboveeconomy tips has helped will report back in the small hours tommorrow thank youall

Regards Kev

kevlight, Mar 25, 6:23pm
last top up to help calculate fuel usage of my ute
03 turbo diesel, Ford courier King Cab ,5 Speed 2wd canopy ,(with roof rack)

satfilled it up at Washdyke BP Timaru 19th march
37.12 litres ULT At $.1.659 $/L
fuel rebate -1.48 total$ 60.10

Did 178.4 klms

tuesday shell south end Timaru
P12 techron D 19.94 litres At $33.48
did 179.6 klm

wedshell south end Timaru same place ,same pump fill to click off;

P08 techron D 14.44 Litres $24 24

did 178.3 klms today

Thurs
15.23 litres$26.02

did177.2 klms

thats it for the week ,self /work imposed long weekend
fri sat sun off;

so now to try to calculate over all fuel economy

kevlight, Aug 25, 1:52pm
thejazzpianoma ,yes i filled the truck up at Washdyke Bp $60.10,
then parked it up till on monday morning 6am ;
then drove down to Oamaru for work then return to Timaru for;
total oftrip meter reading.178.4

probably litre averageof the other 3 trips
approx 18.2 litres x $1.70 = $30.94 ;this wasfrom the $ 60. 10 top up to fill the tank originally

monday of178.4 klms ;
18.2 litres$30.94

tues 19.94 litres$33.48
did 179.7 klms

wed 14.44 litres$24.24
did 178.3 klms

thurs15.23 litres$26 .02
did 177.7 klms

forgot /too tired /too lazy to take roof rack off,
would it have made a difference!
pumped the tyres up for the last trip; 35 psi .

had to do five stop/starts
while shopping looking for a battery,
Compliance info, at GT Gillies (useless)
Smash Palace (better)
food, milk is dearer than gas !
library internet to find accom,Oamaru,next week
family friends visit, a nice cup of tea and cake!

sorry thats six stop starts

Stopped just before Yellow shed at Waimate turn off ,for a leak and a pine cone pluck ,never have enough pine cones!

Will try to calculate total fuel usage after lunch.

mowing all Eight lawns;
a gutter repair and a clothes line fix all before lunch!
and I'm supposed to be retired/tired

Please send me a spare / new back ,
if you have any laying about ,NOS preferred.

thanks for help with figures ;Regards Kev

Home sweet Home

Missus and other work ,has a list, three pages long ! buggers