Cheap utes

hutchk, Mar 21, 6:04am
Evening all. I'm looking for a cheap ute ($3K maybe!) for the sole purpose of carting the dogs around. Will do bugger all k's every week and cosmetics aren't important. Double cab would be nice though.What in your learned opinions offers the best reliability/parts availability in the old dunger ute market!

henderson_guy, Mar 21, 6:13am
not gonna get sweet FA for that price.look for an old diesel nissan.

franc123, Mar 21, 6:26am
Theres a surprising amount of them for sale under $4K at the moment, although any sort of a double cab for that price is a bit optimistic.As for what to buy, the usual choices of Hilux, Navara, Courier, L200 are all generally OK, if preferring diesel, Toyota and Nissan tend to be the best to go for.But if doing low km's petrol might be a better option for you.

hutchk, Mar 21, 6:51am
Cheers, that gives me plenty of options - any make/model to steer clear of!

franc123, Mar 21, 7:05am
If I was to say what was the most risky!Older diesel versions of the L200, Courier and Mazda B series, the 2.6L petrol L200's also aren't good, 2.0's are OK.

phillip.weston, Mar 21, 7:08am
A friend of mine will be selling their '92 L200 2.6 double cab 5spd manual ute fairly soon I think - it's silver with a canopy and done approx 260kms but its just had its head reconditioned etc.

barrie2, Mar 21, 8:57am
Bought my L200 d/cab 2.6 petrol for carting the dogs around (oh and the wife too) new in December 1990. 235k later and only let me down twice (clutch cable snapped, heater hose split) - reliable.you bet.! Sadly dogs dead now so may let grandson have it, however I may get new clutch, new exhaust and two nuisance oil leaks fixed first.

fordluva, Mar 21, 7:44pm
into taxidermy is he! lol

emmab3, Mar 22, 4:16am
My partners ute he wants to get rid of and would sell for $2500 for the way it is, It is a double cab diesel nissan navara 1989, Hasent got a warrent rego is on hold it would need a new windscreen as has a crack on the passengers side and has a small exhaust leak ( isnt loud ).

noswalg, Mar 22, 5:36am
Is your friend in hamilton! I'm in the market for a ute

elvis58, Aug 12, 11:10pm
I have a 89 navara DC, 2.3 and 5 on floor. Owner before me did gearbox, brakes and shock's, i've fitted power steer and done front suspension. It's not mint as it's been used as a ute but i thought it was only $15 to $1800, seems theres more in them than that!