302 Windsor into xf ute conversion

chizz, Jan 30, 6:56am
Im wanting to throw out my forever dying 4.1 alloy head engine and put a v8 in the xf. Im not looking for any huge dramas and im not looking for a alot of power just the fuel economy (daily driver) and noise really, hence the windsor over the clevland. Whos done it! Im looking to see what i need to buy so i can make it a weekend job nice and smoothe with no hassels. also interested in a reconmended trans, can a c4 be used with borg warner 40 linkages on the columb! ( like it on the columb ). thanks

illusion_, Jan 30, 7:26am
Did exactly this with a windsor into an XD many years ago so it SHOULD be pretty similar, although these days it will need to be certed of course. Use the C4 box. linkage should be a cable which will fit. Use v8 engine mounts and they bolt straight up. G/box mount fits into different holes (slightly further back on the chassis). Cant quite remember whether I had to shorten the drive-shaft or not so you'll need to measure that somehow before you start and maybe have a different one shortened up (and balanced) ready to go. 5 core (I think it was) radiator. I used a viscous fan but up to you (measure up using engine mounts as a datum point). That leaves the exhaust system, which will pretty much need to be made after the engine is fitted. I just drove it around to the exhaust shop and the knocked one up in a couple of hours but this could be a problem on a w/end of course.
All in all it's a bloody easy job. got mine done in a day. All the best with yours.

elect70, Jan 30, 7:34am
I didmild 302 c into xd panelvan with Graham Berry 5 speed conversion , but pays not to use 1st gear , itstuffed 2 boxes ,until he did a mod to front bearing( making it a double row- supa box .)

mram, Jan 30, 9:52pm
A friend did exactly this conversion a few years back 289/302w with an FMX trans, he rekoned it was the easiest conversion ever and the 289/302(we never did know) returned often better fuel economy(up too 25mpg) and alot more power than the old 4.1

quickstitch, Jan 30, 10:06pm
the shifter linkage out the bottom of the shifter is on the wrong side for a C4. So cut it off and reweld it on after turning it 180 degrees. the V8 accelerator cable is longer than the six cylinder on but you can make do with the original. the fuel line for a six cylinder comes up behind the suspension tower on the six and the eight is in front of the suspension tower. Dont extend it inside the engine bay as it will be to close to the exhaust, extend it on the outside of the chassis. And the xf heater hose pipes are in the way of the cylinder heads (well they are on a cleveland and big block, a windsor may just clear). if they are in the way you can fit an xd or xe heater core to solve the problem.

chizz, Jan 31, 8:12am
Thanks guys for all the heads up really apprieceate it.

I used to have a 6cyl XD and from memory the front end was really similar so thats where i figured finding XD V8 mounts because im pretty sure the XE was never a V8, hundreds were converted but dont think they came from the factory like that.

thanks for the pictures very helpfull

Yes im told the cleveland had clearance issues with the heater pipesand windsors cleared, but im happy enough with a windsor at this stage, cheap to build, and if i want to re-power it someday there are alot of available go fast bits for them.

quickstitch, Jan 31, 8:27am
XE was also a factory V8. I've had a couple of them, XE s-pac panelvans, and a fairmont ghia. wish i had an ESP V8, had 2 six cylinder ones thou, nice cars

quickstitch, Jan 31, 8:30am
the mounts you
need come out from xa to xe.