Medium size car - 5 person

Page 2 / 3
fordcrzy, Jan 31, 7:22am
cars are pretty steady at the mo.look at mondeo wagons.the prices havent moved in over 2 years.

carstauranga001, Jan 31, 7:34am
No, you don't WANT to understand that most buyers want a reliable Japanese cars. Moreso with cars under 10K. Like it or not, believe it or not, we as the retailers stock what sells. Yes I stock some Euros but have you seen me keep 6 or 7 grand Euros Jazz. No, and for good reason. I am responsable for everything I sell, legally and morally. So I will sell what my 30 years in the motor industry has taught me is best for both myself and my clients.

Jazz having met you I recon you're an all right sort of guy with great intentions but somewhere along the line you've got this mental block that Fiats and VW's are pretty much the only cars that anyone on the planet should own and quite frankly it's become a bit tiresome mate.

skull, Jan 31, 8:12am
+1 from me too I'm afraid.
You give good practical advice Jazz and you have my great respect for that but the answer to every question is not VW or Fiat, you need to get out more. Toyota are renown in the most part for their reliability and that is reflected in the resale value of a great number of their models, it is the market that says it is so not an opinion of any one of us on the TM boards. The market certainly doesn't say the same about VW and Fiat, in fact it's saying pretty much the opposite. VW didn't get to be the size they are by accident so we can't say they're making crap, when enough owners think what you think Jazz that's when the status quo will start to shift.

likit, Jan 31, 10:17am
Show me a Vitz or Yarris that can seat 5 people!Commodore or Falcon only way to go.

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 10:35am
As usual thejazzpianoma derailed the thread with Puntos, Golfs and other unsuitable cars (an S60, really! Have you seen the back seats of one of those). Why he bought up the Vitz/Yaris I don't know.

r15, Jan 31, 11:44am
they can, and prize themselves on it!just not comfortably,enough leg room but not at all comfortable

cantab1971, Jan 31, 7:38pm
I would like to whisper a +1 from the back of the room for Jazz.although not sure why these small cars came into it when the OP said medium car for 5 adults.

As with most threads its gets emotional and goes off on tangents. The original thread asked about resale value so I suppose you dealers know more about that than anyone else.

I agree with the last part of msigg's post though.don't buy any care with a view to selling it again so soon.whats the point!

my +1 for Jazz is in support of Euros :) They're just better cars. Thats not saying anything about resale and the OP's questions. Maybe toyotas are better for this.but you'd have to tolerate tooling around in one.Which I wouldn't.

Look.popularity doesn't mean "good". Toyotas to me are like the Mcdonalds restaurant when you're looking for lunch. You know the place will be clean, you'll get a car-park and you'll get exactly what you expect for lunch.AND.its soooo popular. Does it mean its the best lunch to be had! - nope!its mediocre and boring.ie. Toyota.

Listen to the tills ringing at the Warehouse, or the people tuning into "shorty street", or the celebrations when the cricket team draws.its all a symptom of the good old kiwi struggle for medicority. Hence the popularity of Toyota.

The down side of owning Euro's like my luverly beamer, is when you have to drive a poxy Camry or Falcon or somethin.(like when i have to fly-drive for work).Gawd but they are awful !yuk!

I love coming back to my 10 year old beamer after being stuck in a new one of those other pieces of plastic. there's no comparison.

anyways, like I said.all emotion and tangents.they're only cars dudes! no need to get too personal about it.

cantab1971, Jan 31, 7:38pm
I would like to whisper a +1 from the back of the room for Jazz.although not sure why these small cars came into it when the OP said medium car for 5 adults.

As with most threads its gets emotional and goes off on tangents. The original thread asked about resale value so I suppose you dealers know more about that than anyone else.

I agree with the last part of msigg's post though.don't buy any care with a view to selling it again so soon.whats the point!

my +1 for Jazz is in support of Euros :) They're just better cars. Thats not saying anything about resale and the OP's questions. Maybe toyotas are better for this.but you'd have to tolerate tooling around in one.Which I wouldn't.

Look.popular doesn't mean "better". Toyotas to me are like the Mcdonalds restaurant when you're looking for lunch. You know the place will be clean, you'll get a car-park and you'll get exactly what you expect for lunch.AND.its soooo popular. Does it mean its the best lunch to be had! - nope!its mediocre and boring.ie. Toyota.

Listen to the tills ringing at the Warehouse, or the people tuning into "Shorty street", or the celebrations when the cricket team draws.its all a symptom of the good old kiwi struggle for medicority. Hence the popularity of Toyota.

The down side of owning Euro's like my luverly beamer, is you're spoilt and you suffer when you have to drive a poxy Camry or Falcon or somethin.(like when I have to fly-drive for work).Gawd but they are awful !yuk!

I love coming back to my 10 year old beamer after being stuck in a new one of those other pieces of plastic. there's no comparison.

anyways, like I said.all emotion and tangents.they're only cars dudes! no need to get too personal about it.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 8:12pm
The Yaris/Punto was an example of Toyota depreciation thats all. not a recomendation for the OP. My recommendations were way up at the top.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 8:15pm
Yes. I have sat in the back seat of an S60 many a time. Have you!
Not sure what you are smoking to by complaining about an S60. It IS a medium sized car, quite capable of carrying 5 people just like the original poster wanted.

The Golf as I said is pushing it a bit for 5 people though but doable especially if some passengers are children.

If you had some reading comprehension going on it would be quite clear why I bought up the Vitz.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 8:26pm
Why is it so hard to do the math! Is it only me that actually follows car prices year by year!

Its such a strange psychological phenomenon that people feel compelled to recommend what must be about the worst cars for depreciation (at that price/age point) because of some pre-conception. when the math clearly shows they are wrong. You can't argue with the math!

If you don't believe me just go and look for yourself. Check out the Camry's that are on here for around teh 10K mark, then project the age/milage that they will be when the OP has finished with them.

Look up the projected equivalent Camry and look at the average price.

This is a surprisingly accurate system, its proven itself for me for years.

If you don't follow this here it is in more simple terms.
1. Look up what 10K buys you in a camry. Note the milage/year.
2. Add 15K to the milage for every year the OP will keep the car.
3. Subtract the number of years the OP will keep the car from the cars year of manufacture.
4. Look up Camry's with the resulting year/milage then subtract the average price from the $10'000 and see how much they stand to lose.

Its not hard to do!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 8:31pm
*facepalm*
Dude you are just twisting the time frame/models etc to suit your agenda. Its like I am saying 2 + 2 = 4 and you are saying "No it isn't because 2 + 3 = 5"

kazbanz, Jan 31, 11:22pm
Nope--in fact what is happening is that you are trying to make a point and what I'm sayingas usual does not line up with what you are saying -an inconvenient truth
You are saying that the toyota vitz/yarris has depreciated sharply.
using the 1000cc vits to "prove your point"
I'm saying that the 1000cc vitz has been priced at the prices you quote for a long time because they are not popular so in fact have NOT depreciated sharply
I'm also saying that the 1300/1500cc vitz I am still getting similar money for the same year as I did 2 years ago.
The example CT quoted was representative oi how Toyotas by and large have not depreciated at a great rate.
Incidently I'm stcratching my head because you actually use the rapid devaluation of euo cars min NZ as being one of the big reasons to purchase them a few years old. This has been part of YOUR sales pitch

kazbanz, Jan 31, 11:22pm
Nope--in fact what is happening is that you are trying to make a point and what I'm sayingas usual does not line up with what you are saying -an inconvenient truth
You are saying that the toyota vitz/yarris has depreciated sharply.
using the 1000cc vits to "prove your point"
I'm saying that the 1000cc vitz has been priced at the prices you quote for a long time because they are not popular so in fact have NOT depreciated sharply
I'm also saying that the 1300/1500cc vitz I am still getting similar money for the same year as I did 2 years ago -indicative that they also have not depreciated hugely or rapidly
The example CT quoted was representative oi how Toyotas by and large have not depreciated at a great rate.
I dunno how much more proof we can offer
Incidently I'm scratching my head because you actually use the rapid devaluation of euro cars in NZ as being one of the big reasons to purchase them a few years old. This has been part of YOUR sales pitch

kazbanz, Jan 31, 11:37pm
Now Toyskito answer your actual question.mate I'm in the trade and I really don't know what will happen in the next two years.
Right now 4x4 remmers tractors look to be the go but who knows how long that will last for

kimbo88, Jan 31, 11:54pm
You need to look at the overall cost for the 2 years, not just purchase price and depreciation.Given that reliability will result in far less outgoings on repairs etc, coupled with an acceptable level of economy, to me the answer is a good Jappa - ie, Camry or similar or whatever.Whilst no-one can predict the total cost of something over a given period, that's the type of car that's probably going to give you the least hassle/expense over a long term.

shelleigh, Feb 1, 12:49am
I currently have a '96 Corolla manual wagon and am now in a position to upgrade. After asking on here a while back and getting helpful advice then talking to people and reading reviews, etc. I am very seriously looking at getting a Mk5 Golf tiptronic wagon.
Jazz I'll report later this month after doing some test driving lol

r15, Feb 1, 2:59am
jazz's math usually only works when you use puntos or passats as the examples

thejazzpianoma, Feb 1, 4:24am
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!
Thats it!

That is the very point I am making here. When you are buying a car that is a few years old (as poster one is doing here) you want to buy one that has had sharp initial depreciation and that will then likely hold for a while.

What you don't want to be doing is buying a car that has very slow initial depreciation because those have to catch up some time and generally take a nose dive somewhere around the 8 year mark (this varies a bit of course).

All you are doing is skewing the numbers/models to try and avoid the inevitable.(You tried to remove some models from my example and then tried to cut the time frame I was looking at by up to a half).

You see almost all cars end up with a similar end value of roughly $2000 at about 15 years old assuming they are tidy with a Wof/Reg and have done typical km's. This includes Corolla's, Camry's etc.

However, how they get to that point varies, a smart person plays the curve to their advantage. If you are buying new THEN you buy the Suzuki Swift or Toyota Camry.

If you are buying at 8 years old THEN you buy the Euro with super high initial depreciation.

This is not rocket science.

If you only take two things away from this, be it that depreciation is never linear and that different makes/models depreciate at different rates.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 1, 4:29am
Also, poster 1's price range is a tricky one. I find often cars will hold around the 12-14K mark and then hold again around the 5-6K mark. The slide between the two is often rapid.
Thats a gross generalisation though and does not apply to all cars by any means.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 1, 4:33am
Why don't you actually do this math for the period of time the poster is looking at. The Camry is not particularly economical on fuel and it stands to be about the very worst for depreciation. It also dosn't have particularly long service intervals and any possible saving due to reliability will on average be negligible compared to its obscene projected depreciation.

Why people just say stuff that sounds good without doing the actual math escapes me.

kazbanz, Feb 1, 4:41am
Hmm--2000 for a 1997 corolla or pulsar or starlet --maybee that applies to 15 year old euro's but Im still getting DOUBLE and TRIPLE that for tidy examples of the older versions of the vitz/yarris. -ie corolla/starlet or pulsar etc.-is it a mi8lage thing--Nope given I got $4000 for a nice running 1997 3 door pulsar.
Face it Jazz -your own figures prove you wrong

rovercitroen, Feb 1, 4:46am
AND if you have to borrow the money to buy a more expensive car, as many people do, the extra cost of interest especially at some dealer finance rates can be huge.

johnf_456, Feb 1, 4:49am
nothing like long posts to read

thejazzpianoma, Feb 1, 4:49am
Excellent point, especially as its possible to buy a perfectly good reliable car for a fraction of the OP's budget. (Not saying the OP is financing of course).