Suzuki vitara-escudo

mudguts1, Feb 11, 7:38pm
have been advised not to buy a vitara or escudo as they are prone to snapping crankshafts-any body experienced this happening!

berg, Feb 11, 7:43pm
Worked for Suzuki for many years and never saw one snap a crank. Which engine are we talking about

mugenb20b, Feb 11, 8:10pm
I've never seen or heard of any Suzuki that snaps crankshafts, unless some idiot didn't assemble the engine correctly. The ones to avoid are V6 engines and the ones with an early Mazda 2.5 diesel motor. 1.6 litre petrol can sometimes be prone to having loose rocker shafts apparently, but I've never seen one yet.

slarty45, Feb 11, 8:28pm
1st I heard of snapped cranks.
Was the person who advised you a salesman (not mechanic) of another brand!

nathanmac, Feb 11, 8:57pm
I've been reading up on these a little recently as a 7 seater alternative in the Grand Vitaras/Escudos.From what I've read the biggest problem with some of their engines (2.0, 2.5 and 2.7) is a design flaw in a cam chain tensioner which can fail prematurely. Haven't as yet read anything about broken crankshafts though.

slarty45, Feb 11, 9:25pm
Accessory belt tensioner was recalled and replaced on my 2.4 Vitara at 3 months. Faulty spring steel.
A couple failed so the entire batch was replaced.

mudguts1, Feb 11, 10:15pm
thanks guys-my info was via a car wrecker!

kazbanz, Feb 11, 10:24pm
Nope I've never heard of issues ever with crankshafts.
I had a few problems in the past with the 2.0l v6 and its camchain but otherwise nothing

franc123, Feb 11, 11:04pm
Given how many different engines have been fitted to these and that it hasn't been specified which one allegedly has this problem you wouldn't believe it, never heard of it personally in either of the 4 cyl petrols/diesels or any of the V6's. He might have got confused with 3.5 GDI Challengers perhaps lol.

pico42, Feb 11, 11:24pm
I vaguely remember reading something somewhere about flogged keyways on them! That's the G16B engine though.

olsod2, Feb 12, 2:09am
the 1.6 had problems with the head cracking.the way to fix it was to fit a freeflow exhaust.we have 2,one as a beach buggy come shooting wagon with lift kit and big wheelswhich goes any where the other around town use