Suzuki GN250 Overcharging

glyn4, Feb 11, 11:44pm
Hi, hope someone can help me on this. I bought an early GN250 which lost it's charge on the battery. After a new battery and that going flat I discovered that the stator was toast. Changed the stator for a good s/h one and it all tested out fine. Repacced the R/R (which was also fine), for another good one, just to be safe. The bike now charges at 16V (s/be abour 14) at the battery terminals. Everything checks our OK, I have soldered all connections also. I'm wondering if all GN's do this! The only thing left is the rotor on the motor. However I this is just a rinf of magnets which spins around the stationary!Earth connection is good and battery brand new. If I keep running it like this the battery will be no god before not too long. I wondered if I could put another voltage shunt somewhere in the line to take that 16V down to 14V max! They used to have an adjustable regulator on some old Brit bikes I think! I know it's not solving the prob but may be a work around! Is this possible does anyone know. Cheers.

kazbanz, Feb 11, 11:49pm
glyn4- it sounds to me that the reg isn't doing its job -thats where I'd start looking. Any mod really is a sticky plaster rather than a repair.

glyn4, Feb 12, 12:02am
That's what I thought. I've tried 3 in total now. I've also tested the them all and all the diodes seem to be OK. Maybe I just have to dosh out on a brand new r/r!

kazbanz, Feb 12, 12:06am
HMM thers something just not adding up. Yea 16v is a bit high-out of the charging system but the rr should have pulled it down to more reasonable levels before it hits the battery--are you surte you've wired em in right!

glyn4, Feb 12, 12:45am
That's what I think, but there's really only 1 way to hook it up to the standard wiring, 3 common wires from alternator/stator, black from r/r to earth and red from R/R to positive/battery. 5 wires in total. Mind you there is one spare very thin brown wire that I don't have connected. This R/R is off an XV920 yamaha I'm trying at the moment.

glyn4, Feb 12, 1:46am
Drr.I think I have the answer. The spare wire is a sensor wire and if it is not wired up the R/R is not "told" to work. I'll get that wired is then hopefully she'll be right (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing).

doug207, Feb 12, 2:26am
It's probably referenced to the battery then.
I hate Reg/Recs.