Warranty claim -who pays what?

kazbanz, Feb 18, 12:55am
Heres the senario as told to me (not my customer)
A car was sold "straight off the boat" ie the dealership diddn't put any miles on it. Its sold with a warranty. A month after sale the customer complains the car smells of hot sugar and is leaking green stuff. (glycol)
Into the mechanic and it turns out the thermostat was stuck. No problem -stat replaced.
But then -hang on the engine doesn't turn over by hand.
Sure enough the head is warped.
Now the head wasn't warped on sale. because the cambelt was changed and it would have been noticed.
When questioned about what had been happening for that month temperature wise the customer said --I dunno. But it was HOT when I noticed the smell.
So its a warranty claim for a new head etc. The question being who should pick up the excess!
Normally Ida said --the dealerbut in this case I'm wavering because the customer did contribute to the damage by continuing to drive an overheated car
What your view!

ozz1, Feb 18, 12:59am
hard. call.but as they say " customer is always right".!bollocks.

gammelvind, Feb 18, 1:02am
Myself I would have thought the custy. Sometimes from a suppliers perspective the hassle of a grumpy custy just ain't worth it.

mugenb20b, Feb 18, 1:05am
Customer pays for everything (that's just my view, not a fact). And if the engine doesn't turn over by hand then it's most likely hydrolocked due to water in the cylinder. Hopefully the conrods aren't bent.

carstauranga001, Feb 18, 1:12am
I'm thinking they havn't had the car long. If so I'd pay the excess and just say to them it may be that you caused the damage, however I will look after you and come back for your next car here too. If you don't pay they are likely to bad mouth you with a one sided warped version to all and sundry.

superdave0_13, Feb 18, 1:16am
Dealer pays for the lot. Broken thermostat caused the overheating problem. Not the customer.

bitsy_boffin, Feb 18, 1:22am
Excess costs less than the bad advertising would to the dealer IMHO.

In other words, dealer should probably just pay it to keep customer happy.

kazbanz, Feb 18, 1:27am
That was basicly my advise -except I kinda thoughtHang on a mo--the customer mcontinuing to drive an overheated car was the direct cause of the warped head.

fordcrzy, Feb 18, 1:33am
some cars are stuffed by the time the temp gauge (if they have one) hits the H mark.
for instance my ipsum has no temp gauge fitted to it, just a red "OH $#!T" warning light. i have always wondered why they fitted a HUGE rev counter to the car even tough its an auto. would have been better to fit a small rev counter and some real temp/oil pressure gauges

thejazzpianoma, Feb 18, 1:39am
No offence fordcrzy (because you are the exception to the rule) but the target demographic for an ipsum would be lucky to take notice of a big red flashing light and a siren. Getting them to read a gauge and take quick action in case of an irregularity. not really gonna happen.

superdave0_13, Feb 18, 1:39am
I suppose you'd have to guess at what point did the customer realise there was a problem. I have managed to cook an engine myself.
The first symtom I got was the engine missing, By the time had a look at the temp gauge and pulled over it was too late.

gammelvind, Feb 18, 3:06am
Well put Jazz lol

kazbanz, Feb 18, 3:45am
Ahh poooI can't disagree with one single word you just uttered.
Actually I genuinely feel that given just how darn good the new jap stuff is that rather than a siren or light etc the car should just simply shut down if it gets to a certain point. -Yea some situations I could see it being an issue but mostly the owner would coast to the side of the road

utwo, Feb 18, 8:17am
I had a Ford Mondeo as a loan car once which blew its head gasket. The temperature gauge never left the normal zone. When I noticed the symptoms the damage was already done (engine missing at idle and coolant boiling over from the expansion tank).

gammelvind, Feb 18, 8:23am
Aah but that is a euro car, so that can't be right, then again it is english so that sort of isn't europe so that is why it failed

rob_man, Feb 18, 8:28am
Outboards have an overheat buzzer, it wouldn't be too hard to build one into a car.

pno5, Feb 18, 8:38am
I think the customer is at fault. If they admit it was hot. That tells me the knew there was a problem so they should have stopped driving it and taken it into get checked.. I mean if the needles in the red?? Do you keep going? ed means what? STOP.

bopbargains, Feb 18, 8:01pm
Ihopehistoilet neverblocks upthen.

richardmayes, Feb 18, 8:20pm
They are among us. everywhere. even some otherwise very smart and high-achieving people.

My mate got given his MIL's old 2002 Legacy wagon to use, when he and wifey moved to New York (to live nearer to her people for a while.)

They started the car up to drive home after a morning doing stuff in Manhattan and the"Check Engine" light comes on.
Switched ignition off.
Switched ignition back on, and started car up again.
"Check Engine" light is still going after a Reboot, therefore obviously it is some sort of software fault, so we'll just drive home anyway.

FORTUNATELY they got all the way across the Billburg bridge before the now-mortally-wounded engine served them up their "nek minnit" moment.

huffpuff01, Feb 19, 12:30am

jason18, Feb 19, 12:36am
I like how fords start shutting down when they get to hot. Why don't more cars do this!Surely would save a few mechanic bills.

xs1100, Feb 19, 7:42am
surely not these are upstanding citizens commonly referred to as retail customers surely they would nt do anything but tell the utmost truth