NO drive after new clutch fitted.

kazbanz, Feb 18, 10:13pm
A customer is looking to trade in a 1991 1600cc Toyota Corolla Manual
The story goes that a few months back the cluch was slipping quite badly so they bought and fitted a new clutch kit.
All good for a day or two then the car just lost all drive.
Aparently thge clutch "feels" normaland with the engine stopped the gears seem to move when you use the gear lever.
I have no more info but what does that sound like has gone wrong!

intrade, Feb 18, 10:15pm
sounds a bit like the gearbox is busted now fallen apart on the differential or driveshaft has poped out or broke a cv.

intrade, Feb 18, 10:17pm
other thing can be wrong clutch disk is fitted and stripped now its teeth spinning free on imput shaft. had wrong clutch disc before and i always check it before i fitt for correct splines.

panicky, Feb 18, 10:19pm
probably mis-aligned when fitted and the centre of the clutch plate hub has come apart

gammelvind, Feb 18, 10:22pm
Stuck thrust bearing, splines on clutch plate stripped, the diff drive gear to the drive shafts stripped. Got to be around there some where, sounds like gearbox out again.

carmedic, Feb 18, 10:49pm
Either an inner CV joint has come out the box or the shaft has come out the joint.

swivel, Feb 18, 10:53pm
Wrong way aroundLOL

attitudedesignz, Feb 18, 10:57pm
Was thinking that myself lol.

unbeatabull, Feb 18, 11:22pm
Agree with this, have seen it happen at our work before.

Either that or thrust bearing is gone. If they can select gears fine with engine off its nothing to do with the gearbox.

skin1235, Feb 18, 11:58pm
to fit the clutch they had to drop the box, to drop the box they had to remove the shafts
I'd be checking that both shafts are engaged in the diff end cv, there is room for them to not engage and still look like they are
if it is this, you'll be looking at new shafts, they lathe the ends off something fierce if not engaged properly
and it's not uncommon, backyarders find it hard to push the ring back in so discard it, works well for a couple of days until the shaft migrates into the outer joint and starts slipping in the inner

pollymay, Feb 19, 1:05am
Handbrake hard on, block the wheels and carefully have someone look underneath for a spinning CV stub on one side of the diff with the car in gear clutch out. (someone else in the drivers seat duh)

If you don't see anything spinning then pop the stubs, if they were engaged it's box out. Those cars are dead simple. I can get an engine out of one in 45 minutes and in takes about an hour on a good day :) The gearbox will be a C51 iirc, really common, really really common.

paul271, Feb 19, 6:05am
have also seen the slave cylinders seize on these. Foot off the clutch but no drive. Simple job to fix.

luxy, Feb 19, 6:11am
The drive axles have internal circlips and one is not located properly

bubbles244, Feb 19, 6:53am
clutch bearing wrong way around

scuba, Feb 19, 9:32pm
so offer them scrap value cos thats what it is now

motorway, Feb 19, 10:01pm
this, i expect, i foolhardily left a gearbox alignment dowel out of a Mitsi Mirage many moons ago (all in the interests of showing the other chaps how I could do a clutch in under 20 minutes) felt fine on a road test but lasted until the owner got home and it ripped the centre out of the plate.

andrewph, Feb 20, 6:11am
They havent adjusted the cl. master cyl pushrod have they! ( not letting the fluid return to the reservoir.

bopbargains, Feb 20, 6:10pm
if the speedois still working,it's a CV/drive axle fault. ifnot,it's aclutchproblem.