BF XT Falcon

willz29, Feb 19, 7:21am
looking at a few of these around 220K on the clock. From what I hear they are pretty solid and reliable. Just looking for opinions. I'm after the XT because its more my price range 8k and lower.

grangies, Feb 19, 7:28am
Very popular large vehicle in NZ, as they are built just over the ditch in Australia.

Should be a good vehicle for another 150,000k, as long as you don't expect a Rolls Royce.

xs1100, Feb 19, 7:30am
xt is real entry level why not try a futura and go back to a ba

grangies, Feb 19, 7:32am
Also to add.

You're bound to get some comments in here that are nit picking and put downs about the Falcon.

But the reality is all cars a crap in the long run, and for 8K you should be able to buy a Falcon that will do the trick for the next 5 or so years.

willz29, Feb 19, 7:43am
Yes thats what I'm looking for a strong reliable car. I'm sick of problems with my mitsi so decided it might be better to go for an Australian build. Unfortunately I am limited on budget as we just bought our first house, and a one income family. So thats why I was looking at the XT

casper35, Feb 19, 7:47am
You cant go wrong. From a ba falcon owner.

chris_051, Feb 19, 8:29am
Yep Ive had multiple Falcons all over 300k, my current AU Fairlane is going to tick over 570k later this month, there is a reason why they are/were most popular cab in Aussie but in saying that nothing is faultless.
First thing you should get done is fit an external transmission cooler and by pass the one in the radiator. This should set you back about $300 fitted.

serf407, Feb 19, 5:56pm
The oil cooler for the Falcon transmission has been a long term issue.

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/showthread.php!13030-BA-radiator-issues

unbeatabull, Feb 19, 6:16pm
If you plan on towing, I would recommend getting an aftermarket/external Trans Cooler. Too many times they have leaked coolant into the trans costing lots of $$$ on a trans overhaul and new radiator.

They are a fairly solid car, front and rear balljoints start giving trouble around that mileage, top shock bushes, etc but its all relatively small stuff to fix that isn't going to break the bank like other cars.

smac, Feb 19, 8:14pm
What's the actual open road consumption on these things.would think it must be a fair bit less than the combined 10.9!

easygoer, Feb 20, 6:48am
My BF Ghia 6 speed auto used 8.2 L/100K recently on a trip from Hamilton to Napier and back, city driving returns 12 L/100K, steady driving with air con running

babcorp, Feb 20, 6:52am
Do they come in a manual!

smac, Feb 20, 7:38am
Bugger me, that's less than my 1.8l Astra on the open road.

grangies, Feb 20, 7:53am
What kind of Mitsi do you have!

A lot of Mitsi's in NZ are Australian built too.

willz29, Feb 21, 12:12am
An ST-R V6.

easygoer, Feb 21, 7:43am
I drive with a light foot and use cruise control generally, some people on the Ford Australia website forums report usage as low as 7.2 L/100K in Australia, I guess thats on trips where the roads are quit flat, unlike our roads where we have hills to contend with, I would imagine my car is a lot more comfortable on a trip than the Astra also