Registering an electric scooter

vivienney, Feb 19, 7:58am
What does this cost! The scooter is new but never been registered. Should I avoid this! What do you think! Thanks.

granada, Feb 19, 8:01am
Someone will shoot me down, but i thought if its under 50cc you dont need a liciense or rego. Being electric makes it under 50cc.Lets wait for the experts

shellbell13, Feb 19, 8:09am
I am new to the whole scooter thing but have learnt alot in the 1 week I have had mine.From what I gather if it is 50cc or under it doesn't need a warrant, just rego.I personally would register it to avoid tickets etc.Up to you though I guess.Its about $230 a year to register.Does it not use petrol at all!

bitsy_boffin, Feb 19, 8:21am
Up to 300 watts, it would be a power assisted cycle, no registration necessary, 300 watts is not much and really is limited to just that, cycles which are power assisted.

Your electric scooter is likely well producing more than 300 watts of power and thus requires registration.It requires an INITIAL warrant check to get the registration, thereafter, warrants are not required.

In the unlikely event your scooter produces more than 2kw of power, it is a motorcycle, not a scooter, and must undergo a full certification check and get the usual annual/6 monthly wofs.

kcf, Feb 19, 6:57pm
Ring VTNZ and ask them what you need to licence a moped.Then take moped to them and get it done

wizardoo, Feb 19, 7:29pm
This is correct as we have one if it is to be riden on the road it has to be regoed just not warrent.We live in Orewa and my daughter used to ride it to work in Whangaparoa every day.It was a metro one and looked like a normal scooter. She would charge it up every 2nd night.

elect70, Feb 20, 12:34am
Govt says every vehicle using the road must have rego. They want their tax & ACC levy

vivienney, Apr 12, 11:17am
Thanks for all advice.

irule, Apr 12, 11:57am
Pretty sure they need to be at WOF standard though, tyre tread, brakes and lights that sort of stuff.

pollymay, Apr 12, 12:19pm
sticker that says 295 watts. /done

kcf, Apr 12, 7:44pm
Yeah, that theory works *really* well .
Here's another guy who thought he'd try to be "clever" about an electric scooter.Didn't work out so well for him either.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4360159/Disgraced-traffic-cop-guilty-in-moped-case

richardmayes, Apr 12, 7:52pm
Might fool some of the people some of the time. But plenty of petrol 50cc scooters that make a solid 2000 W can barely reach 50km/h.

All (s)he would have to do is be seen riding the "295 watt" up any hill and that would prove that it's false.

intrade, Apr 12, 8:03pm
so there we go if it has no pedals then its got to be regod and over 300 watt0.3 kw a wof also.

vivienney, Apr 16, 5:32am
OK, thanks intrade. Not what I wanted to hear but that's life!