Cefiro - drivers headlight - intermittent off

groovebox, Feb 20, 9:37am
Hi all

Got a 94 Cefiro - the only issue is the drivers headlight goes out - everytime this has happened over the last 18 mths the mechanic sticks in a new bulb $25 and I am away. Then someone points it out and back to mechanic and new bulb. It has WOF etc - but now it is going off after maybe 20 mins driving - and of course I only "see" the problem on my way home from work. Has been back and forth and in Nov I asked mech to take to auto elec - who could find nothing wrong. Happened again the same nite - back to auto elec who said it STILL looked OK and the light was working.

Have checked fuses etc and the light itself is undamaged and all other electrics in car are 100%.

Obviously the auto elec needs to spend more time with it but any clues! It is BAD when you stand there and say "it goes off" and he says "it's working OK now".

TIA

jono2912, Feb 20, 12:11pm
Check the plug that connects to the bulb, most likely replace it.

bigfatmat1, Feb 20, 6:13pm
switch is a common failure on these.

the_don_61, Feb 20, 9:38pm
Yes but with Nissan if problem is switch its the left hand headlight that dies not the drivers side.

As far as I know.

sounds like dirty earth shorting out the bulb.

rob_man, Feb 20, 11:32pm
If it's the same as a C22 van I had once the headlights are not on the same feed, the switch has two sets of contacts and each headlight is on its own circuit. Mine had one headlight out and it was the switch at fault.

bigfatmat1, Feb 20, 11:32pm
what a silly comment either headlight could fail if it was the switch. the contacts are both the same the bulbs are both the same ect y would only the left fail!

groovebox, Feb 21, 9:07am
Thanks - I had mentioned the switch - but the auto elec said it "seemed" fine. As I say - unless he can see it failing it is hard to describe.