Wof inspectors and Garage owners.

Page 2 / 2
lyonruge, Feb 29, 8:04pm
. and , keep your own standards high, good on you.

kazbanz, Feb 29, 8:15pm
nahh lyonI don't agree. The poor sod is between a rock and a hard place in this situation. Mechanix/his mechanic would have been the last people to do work on the car. If thecarowner goes out and kills someone due to steering issues the finger will be pointed at the mechanic.
I guess the only way around itwould have been a sighned document saying'I joe blogs have been advised by mechanix that my steeering rack is unsafe but I choose not to repair it"

kazbanz, Feb 29, 8:19pm
mecanix what suprises me is NOT that a human being made a mistake.
Hey people make mistakesIm not saying its a good thingjust that we arent infallable
What suprises me is that mike diddn't just apologise for the mistake and thank you for noticing it.

mecanix, Feb 29, 8:35pm
we all make mistakes, no doubt but the procedure should be robust enough to make sure it doesnt get through, and that was the crux of the conversation.it wasnt mike that i was talking to. it is interesting to note that all replies till now have stated they would have lifted the car and checked the corner, to be fair i wouldnt expect anything less as either a work shop owner, a mechanic or member of the public taking my car any where for a safety inspection.

mecanix, Feb 29, 8:37pm
i ALWAYS get that if its needed, any thing like that is noted on job cards, initialled by two mechanics, written on the invoice and i initial it along with the customer.

kazbanz, Feb 29, 8:47pm
I don't disagree with you but my point is that the rep chose to argue the point rather than just thanking you and then doing what needed to be done back at the station concerned.---That suprises me.
I see your point -the origonal tester shoulda picked it up and on recheck if he hada shaken the wheen he woulda noticed the loose inner rack end.

mecanix, Feb 29, 8:51pm
it surprised me as well. if it was my guy that made the mistake i would want to know about it and i would not be defending the mistake.i would have been bloody embarrassed about it, i would have arranged immediate repair, and written the cheque right there and then. i have had to do that a couple of times now and as much as i dont like it, i accept that people make mistakes from time to time. i accept a large company has different procedures to follow in a case like that, and i am sure that if the owner follows through they will do whats right.

jsbike, Feb 29, 11:09pm
well, as it turns out its not a fail, I just went for a wof this morning and they were fine with a broken ignition, to the point where I have had to pull the key switch and start with a screw driver.

I was however failed on the front brake pads. Surprisingly I passed on the rears which to my eye are just as bad, and also passed with the driveshaft to the front wheels removed (4wd, making it rwd).

jsbike, Feb 29, 11:11pm
it could, though I have removed the steering lock completly.

mecanix, Feb 29, 11:12pm
this car had the ignition lock completly removed. it had been stolen and recovered.

jsbike, Feb 29, 11:16pm
I guess its just disparity between inspectors. Im sure if my wof guy wanted to fail me on it he could, though after I explained the situation (stolen recovered too) he had a little laugh and said it would be fine

intrade, Feb 29, 11:28pm
recheck whole steering as they would have had inner rack losend off or something similar check that the rods are securely locked after fitting boot and tirod ends have splitpins and are securely attached . whole mechanism checkover befor I would sign it off as ok.