VW fuel efficiency & service due?

hhb, Feb 29, 11:42pm
I am about to put my car in for very much due service, it's a 2ltr 2000 VW Golf, auto.I do find it chews thru the fuel though, what can I ask mechanic to do, (if anything) to ensure that it is running at optimum fuel efficiency! Anyone please.I am sure that it was more efficient before I had cam belt replaced last year.or maybe I am imaging that!.I don't know the first thing about engines really!

intrade, Mar 1, 12:12am
well service should be done as per manufactureralso automatic trans needs servicing and should be done by automatic transmission rebuilding place , as vw automatic trans are not straight forward in servicing. the fluid level is mesured at 30 degree celcius for example.

intrade, Mar 1, 12:18am
What is the km reading and when was it last serviced and what was done!

msigg, Mar 1, 4:28am
Good service,trans,engineand tune up. Could cost you $500 - $800

thejazzpianoma, Mar 1, 4:38am
Hi hhb,
First thing to do is to test your fuel economy and post it here along with what kind of running i.e town, country or mixed you did over the tank.

Those MK4 Golfs with the 2.0 Auto are not particularly economical (quite the opposite to the ultra frugal MK5 2.0) so it may be doing about what its supposed to, but we just won't know until you tell us.

There are a couple of things that could have happened accidentally when the cambelt was done which could cause it to become more thirsty. However it would be very unusual for those things not to cause your check engine light to illuminate.

By putting it on a diagnostic machine it is possible to check fairly well how efficient it is running. Items like oxygen sensors can get tired over time andcause inefficiency.But before you get that fancy pants obviously they should change the air filter, spark plugs and anything else that is overdue.

Best of luck with it.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 1, 4:38am
Hi hhb,
First thing to do is to test your fuel economy and post it here along with what kind of running i.e town, country or mixed you did over the tank.

Those MK4 Golfs with the 2.0 Auto are not particularly economical (quite the opposite to the ultra frugal MK5 2.0) so it may be doing about what its supposed to, but we just won't know until you tell us.

There are a couple of things that could have happened accidentally when the cambelt was done which could cause it to become more thirsty. However it would be very unusual for those things not to cause your check engine light to illuminate.

By putting it on a diagnostic machine it is possible to check fairly well how efficient it is running. Items like oxygen sensors can get tired over time andcause inefficiency.But before you get that fancy pants obviously they should change the air filter, spark plugs and anything else that is overdue.

I agree completely with intrade that you should get the transmission serviced if it has not been done recently. This may have nothing to do with your economy issues but transmissions are hideously expensive to repair and the vast majority of problems can be avoided with scheduled maintenance.

Best of luck with it. Those are a lovely straight forward engine to deal with so shouldn't be difficult or expensive to check it out and get things running at optimum efficiency.

hhb, Mar 1, 5:44am
Wow,thanks all so much, esp thejazzpianoma, for such thorough advice !- I have a feeling that the fuel useage could just be because of my stop start around town/shops/school pick up etc driving that I do.possibly.plus I have never had such a high cc'd car.and a male friend of mine says that I am "heavy footed'(I beg to differ!) which I know does not help the fuel comsumption, but I wanted to be sure.the "check engine light"has always come on, for as long as I can remember, when I start up, then goes out - is this not normal! ( I would of thought if there was a problem then this light would stay on!) Mileage is 157,000, I love this car and hope to get many more miles out of it.what can you expect top pay for a auto trans service please!

pebbles61, Mar 1, 6:57am
Well if you want fuel efficiency ditch the auto and get a manual _b

thejazzpianoma, Mar 1, 8:02pm
So long as the check engine light comes on and goes off at the same time as the other warning lights when you start then that's normal. As you say its the staying on or coming on and off when you are driving that you would worry about.

Automatic servicing should cost somewhere around $250 at a guess. I would tend to stay away from the "Midas" type places even if they are the cheapest. You want it done properly with the correct fluid by someone who knows what they are doing. Saving $50 is not going to help if they destroy your transmission which is thousands to replace. Be aware that there are many monkeys without a clue in the trade so be cautious.

Also, those km's are getting on and if the transmission has never been flushed the fluid could be well contaminated and the transmission already well worn. SO if the fluid is brown, dirty and smelly then come back for further advice before you get it flushed as it may just trigger problems.

If the fluid is clean with good colour and dosn't smell burnt then you should be pretty safe to proceed.

I agree that any automatic will tend to chew the gas with that stop/start town kind of running. However it would still be good to measure your actual consumption and post it sometime.

Happy driving.