VW DSG Transmission -good or bad?

kazbanz, Mar 1, 11:10pm
Well guys heres the thread for discussinghow goood or bad the VW/Auditransmission really is.
Drag out the facts as you know em.

fiatracer, Mar 1, 11:14pm
have driven a couple - mated to petrol and diesel cars - overall very impressive. A little annoying at low speeds, such as parking, as they don't smoothly progress like a traditional auto box. I believe the DSG is quite a bit heavier than a manual box though, which of course hurts handling. You wanted *facts*, I can only credit local VW agent mechanic with that last fact.

morrisman1, Mar 1, 11:15pm
Not too keen on a transmission replacement cost that is equal to the value of the car!

morrisman1, Mar 1, 11:18pm
Oh and the last DSG transmissioned car I was in was a chipped TDi golf. Went like stink - I was very impressed. Transmission shifted amazingly quickly but smoothly and the diesel made good use of the extra gear.

So while I like how they drive I dont think Id own one. There are some pretty good conventional autos out there if one must have auto.

tgray, Mar 1, 11:31pm
Will Jazz dare to surface! he.he.he.

gadgit3, Mar 1, 11:43pm
Drove a VW Karfter fitted with a DSG and first impression. what a pig slow shifting and found it would decide to shift at abnormal times causing lack of accelaration at times were I wanted to be getting out of the way ie mid intersection and nothing i could do but sit there waiting for it to give me back engine power.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 1, 11:57pm
That might have a lot to do with it not being a DSG transmission. Also, its Crafter with a "C".

gadgit3, Mar 2, 12:09am
Well that explans that then.
Dosn't explane the K insted of C though must have been a stuff up when it was first reg as that is how it was spelt on the license tag.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 2, 1:15am
They were probably thinking "K for Kraut Wagon"

BTW I can understand someone thinking it was a DSG and telling you it was if they had never driven a real DSG. This is because as far as I am aware it uses a very basic 6 speed single clutch automated transmission which I would expect is very similar to the Fiat/Alfa Selespeed. To the layman though it certainly sounds like the same kind of setup.

In my experience and as you have found it certainly seems to suffer much the same operational drawbacks.

intrade, Mar 2, 1:36am
i dont like them because they got a lot of electronic crap plasterd all over them, and they have the potential to fail and cost big money mostly due to the fact that no one is competent to fix them. all new cars cost mega-bux to repair with all them expensive electronic crap plastered all over them. just look at D4 toyota they are about what to compair the dsg vw with , both huge mega $$ if they go puff

stevo2, Mar 2, 3:30am
I have unfortunately never driven one but all of the motoring mags give them the big thumbs up.
They can only talk about driving experience, not long term reliability or costs.
Stevo

sw20, Mar 2, 6:19am
Would rather just have three pedals. Simple and effective.

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 6:29am
Tell that to my wife.

berg, Mar 2, 6:31am
I'm with you on this one. Still like my auto Commonwhore but would have profured a manual one just couldn't find one at the time. At least the Commonwhore is cheap to fix if it ever goes wrong

mongolia1, Mar 2, 8:34am
The organisation I work for has a fleet of NZ new Skoda Octavias all 2009 and all now around 60-70,000km.They are all 1.9 diesel.There are two DSG liftbacks and two 6 spd wagons.Skokas are basically rebadged VWs.All the cars are pool cars and do big trips.Most of us enjoy driving.Now that the novelty of DSG has worn off, the manual wagons are always the first to be taken - a much more engaging drive.Sure you can drive the DSG in tiptronic like a manual but its all pretty soul-less and detached.Also the manual ratios seem better suited to the diesel than the DSG.The Octavias are nice cars to drive, handle well and when new were well finished and bolted togther.However, the interiors are starting to look worn and some of the electronic features are proving problematic. Fundamentally the cars have too many whizzy features for their own good and many of the controls (eg dual air con, digital dash readouts, integrated radio/stereo, keyless entry) are not intuitive and are overly complicated.I'd hate to own one of these after 100,000 km.

msigg, Mar 3, 2:17am
Yea good call mongolia nice when the're going good and the company pays for the repairs.

ozz1, Mar 3, 3:30am
yep. damn car manufactures try ing to out do each other withextrauseless components.started way back.1992 st190 corona door mirror with 13 wires.!WTF!.so it rectracted.and adjusted as normal and was heated. maybe hence 7 wires. WTF were the other 6 wires for!. no sign of toilet paper to wipe your rs with!

unbeatabull, Mar 3, 3:47am
I've only driven the Dual Clutch "Powershift" trans that the new Fiesta's come with, and can't say I liked it that much. Yeah it changed quickly and was smooth through the gears, but it just seemed to lack something . even the standard Auto felt nicer to drive then it.

rovercitroen, Mar 3, 6:00am
Work colleague has a 2006 Skoda Octavia TDi that he has owned from new, now done 130,000kms. It has a DSG gearbox. The car has been serviced religiously by the dealer (Ebbetts) since new. It has been very reliable with no major (or minor) problems. The DSG gearbox has been faultless and has only had scheduled servicing.

modie61, Mar 3, 7:05am
What does DSG stand for !
Damn shit gearbox !

sw20, Mar 3, 7:23am
The novelty of the DSG wears off very quickly. I borrowed my flatmates R32 Golf with DSG for a few days when Zeph was changing the radiator in my old Clio 172. You only use the flappy paddles on the first day. Then its just a regular auto. Was glad to get back into the flimsy Clio!

jmma, Mar 3, 7:23am
Don't Stuffit Gearbox (o:

gram, Mar 3, 10:31pm
About time there was a sensible comment based on real-world relatively long-term usage.

msigg, Mar 4, 6:06am
130,000km long term!, maybe 230,000 - 300,000km = long term.