1991 Toyota CelicaGTR bad engine vibration at idle

porteous1, Dec 8, 3:47am
Between 600 and 900 rpm this car has a bad vibration from the engine.We have replaved the engine mounts but no different.Has any one had a similar problem with one of these cars!Could it be the crankshaft pulley! - I am not sure if it couples as a harmonic balancer.Any assistance appreciated.

moosie_21, Dec 8, 4:46am
Same problem with mine, hood shakes and what not around 600-800rpm. Apparently the 3sfe was known for having bad vibrations at idle (don't know about 3sge as in yours, but would guess so too). I'm keen to hear any ideas as well!

porteous1, Dec 8, 4:54am
My engine is a 16 valve twin cam - if that helps

wellystretch, Dec 8, 5:58am
Yup same problem with my girlfriends, 90 GT-R, vibration bad enough to shake the windows at about 900 - 1000 RPM,runs fine at idle and at above this rev range. Bit annoying, any ideas would be helpful lol

moosie_21, Dec 8, 6:20am
lol it sucks for all of us! The '96-'98 Celica 3sfe and sge were specifically upgraded to stop this. I doubt you would want to engine swap for one, so guess googling it would be best and see if any of us can come up with a solution!

porteous1, Dec 8, 9:44am
I've done the googling but no result.I am thinking of changing the crankshaft pulley.I will have to wait until the weekend to summon up the energy to do this!Will report back.

olsod2, Dec 8, 10:06pm
instead of asking here do what i did.my celica made a noise like a helicopter from the front end ,went to a mechanic said gearbox shot.rang toyota dealer ask what problems celica had in front end ,explained noise told me bearing in front hub had spun was known prob with this model.ring toyota maybe this is also a known problem

moosie_21, Dec 9, 6:28am
Yeah plenty of google searching and no results. Harmonic balancer kept cropping up, but don't know. Ringing or e-mailing Toyota is the way to go me thinks. Anyone want to do this and report back!