Help with Turbo 400 transmission

townie55, Nov 17, 6:54am
Knowing nothing about these matters, I'm looking for possible causes and fixes for my transmission problem.

On my last trip, when going up a steep hill, a lot of tranmission oil came out of the top of the filler tube.Most got onto the road but some got onto the muffler, which in turn engulfed my pickup in white smoke.

I drove it the last 600 metres home and have parked it up.

I'm guessing I will need to take it to the transmission doctor for surgery but would like some experts here to give me some possible causes for it, eg cracked seal somewhere.

Cheers

kingfisher21, Nov 17, 6:59am
Overfull or the fluid got too hot.

mariska67, Nov 17, 11:56pm
have you tried driving it or moving it thru all the gears while its running since this happened !

townie55, Nov 18, 3:14am
Haven't touched it.Parked it up.

monzaman, Nov 18, 6:04am
Your car needs a descent sized external trans cooler and probably a good fluid change/flush and trans may very well not be faulty,I can help you there being a mechanic/trans technicion in Auckland, c my listing to enquire.

les6, Nov 18, 7:24am
how do you know that without knowing make,model,mods etc etc!

mariska67, Nov 18, 7:41am
have you done any maintenance or added fluid to the trans at any stage ! Was the dipstick securely placed in the filler tube ! I run 4 cars, and 2 have TH400's and 2 with TH350's . Im no expert but im competent with them.

lordv81, Nov 18, 8:24am
T350s and T400s do it when they get real hot.Im not sure why as Im no mechanic but has happened to me a few times,usually while doing burnouts.The trans ends up slipping from then on or will soon after.Hopefully yours is ok.

townie55, Nov 18, 9:32pm
Been driving it 2 yrs with no problems.Changes gears with ease and no strange noises.When it happened 1st time, found dipstick sitting in the top of the filler but loose fitting.Pushed it back in and the oil came out again on the very next trip.

No maintenance since I've had it and oil levels always been spot on.Haven't had to fill any oil levels.

The two trips where it has come out were very short trips from home so I don't think the trans would have overheated.Of interest it has happened both times on a steep section of road.

Should the dip stick seal at the top as there only seems to be a metal hood on the stick that sits over the outside of the filler tube - not really a seal in my thinking.

Monzaman - hopefully a mate of a mate will come around to have a look at it this weekend.If that doesn't happen I'll be in touch with you.

lordv81 - never do burnouts.It might be doing them when I loan it to family members.hmm

kingfisher21, Nov 19, 1:22am
Doesn't matter how short, a trans will heat up VERY quickly when under load, it will be overheating, change the oil and the filter and go from there, what sort of vehicle is it in and how heavy is it!

townie55, Nov 19, 10:51am
It's a 1958 pickup, around 2 tonne.

I topped up the oil today and clean up around near the filler tube where some excess oil was sitting.It took exactly 2 litres to get it back to the correct level for the transmission oil.

Drove it around the driveway for a while - all okay.Drove down to a service station at the bottom of the road - all good.

Next took it for a spin for 30 mins up and down hilly area along Scenic Dr- all good.Got home and everything intact with no new oil leaking from the filler.

I'll just keep a real close eye on it.The change of oil and filter sounds a good idea though.

monzaman, Mar 18, 11:13am
Well done townie55,transmisions will generally last longer with a separate trans cooler,the built into radiator type in most vehicles aren't good enough,I once towed a tandem trailer with a car body on it with my 1900cc opel manta a coupe which had a small trimatic(turbo 200/strasburg trans)from Auckland to Papakura,it was actually ok till I stopped along Gt Sth Rdand only then it blew its top a bit but no damage,put a small exteral cooler on after that.Neighbours jeep cherokee blew out atf when towing trailer with his quad on it,I suggested same cooler addition would fix.