ACC now making money and has surplus does motoring

Page 1 / 2
gunhand, Mar 2, 5:20am
get a break now. Well no. lots of others do one way or the other but Nick Smith says the motoring public will not get a break as there account is still in debt.
Didnt take long really for them to turn things around now did it. Although apparently many are being declined claims etc.
So no break for motorcylists or any other driver then.

sheepey, Mar 2, 5:35am
Do you honestly believe they were ever in debt!Just remember"they' want to privatise ACC!Aswell!
The system does need a overhaul as it's wrong that visitors can come here on a "extreme' holiday and hurt themselves then leave treated and covered by "our" ACC but it is a good scheme and one we should all fight to keep.

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 2, 5:53am
You should stop perpetuating lies. 'They' want to open up the work account to competition, a move that I, as a self-employed person, wholeheartly support as last time they did it my premiums went down significantly and my cover improved dramatically.

owene, Mar 2, 6:01am
Yet another willy minded idiot that accepts just what the press claim as fact.!

casper35, Mar 2, 6:11am
I would happily pay more acc levies as its great value.

owene, Mar 2, 7:23am
The issue really is that Lab's policy was to fund the long-term costs with todays levies. Nat's policy is to ensure adequate investment to generate returns to cover those long term costs. So i guess if we ever get another Lab govt, they'll revert the whole thing and we'll have free ACC for ten years with no levies!

outbidyou2, Mar 2, 7:30am
really! can I ask how much your ACC levy is per year

sheepey, Mar 2, 7:50am
You my friend are but only one person, Look at the whole picture! We have huge unemployment and rising sickness and invalid people, if ACC wont cover them, what private company will!I too was self employed and in my field of work paid a significant ACC levy as I'm sure many others do too, you are not the only one!
I believe money was invested when the books were opened and they were declared "broke"smoke and mirrors!

sheepey, Mar 2, 7:51am
The money was invested when the books were opened, they aren't broke and never were, merely a attempt to get people onside.

fordkiwi27, Mar 2, 7:53am
crap. labour are a bunch of crooks. they left us in a bad way after 9 years of good times globally,poor national inherited a dud.

owene, Mar 2, 7:58am
Bollox. The level of investment was insufficient to support the long-term liabilities. Plus, between 2002-2008, huge losses were made by ACC making poor investments. So that level of capital investment had to be increased.

casper35, Mar 2, 7:59am
About $1200 per year.

sheepey, Mar 2, 8:03am
Proof!

sheepey, Mar 2, 8:07am
And how many times have we heard what a great position New Zealand was in going into the recession that has wiped out and crippled so many countries who were stronger than us.Can we really have it both wayslol.

outbidyou2, Mar 2, 8:09am
Mines in excess of double that, I am not trying to sound cool. From my own experience after you find yourself injured at work, ACC tends to pay out as little as possible, and finds further loopholes to avoid paying you the true compensation to which you were entitled. After speaking to numerous tradesman over the years I sadly have not come across one that has had a positive experience with ACC. We feed this organisation between $2500 - 3k per year as individuals and if something happens, too bad, so sad. I for one would not pay them a cent more than their current over inflated fees, I have put income protection in place, dialled back ACC, have twice the cover and it saves me $700 per year. ACC, kiss my ass

owene, Mar 2, 8:10am
The proof is that I happen to have worked very closely with my local MP who strangely enough happened to be the Minister of ACC last year. Proof enough!

outbidyou2, Mar 2, 8:13am
and I read something a few years after the hikes in ACC across the board, they were back in the black as far as I can remember but nothing changed. Rego now expensive, esp diesel, the levies certainly wont come down. I can't really say what I think of them, probably wrong place - Sorry all / rant over

outbidyou2, Mar 2, 8:13am
but now mate, what now.

yeahm8, Mar 2, 8:16am
Looks like someone is gonna get a nice performance bonus this coming xmas.

ashpot, Mar 2, 8:17am
And the taxpayer bails them out if the private insurer goes under

sheepey, Mar 2, 8:17am
The easiest way to get people onside in mass is to hit them where it hurts, we motorists are a easy target.Show me the debt that put ACC in such a bad place, heard loads about it but never seen a ounce of proof to back it up.
Truth is they want to privatise it and this is a way to get the backing to make that happen.
I'm happy to be shown wrong.show me!Itis top heavy and in need of changes, certainly around issues of eligibility, doesn't have that on its own though.

sheepey, Mar 2, 8:37am
Well which is it.The country was either in good shape to combat the recession as Nats said or it wasn't.I guess it depends on the day.right!

dr.doolittle, Mar 2, 9:04am
Privatisation = Profits. Say no more.

sheepey, Mar 2, 9:17am
We've seen a fair bit of that over the years, if anything it makes the services more expensive for us to use.We will go back to the days of people being sued so the "victim" can get insurance for their "accident". Do we really want to go there!

william12, Mar 2, 7:31pm
Yep and national will sell everything else, we are stuffed either way