Snow chain recommendations . . .

paul0100, Mar 3, 8:19pm
Gidday. I'm after advice on a set of snow chains for a Mitsi Challenger. I want something grunty and capable but easy to fit. I have seen the 'SnowSweat' brand - made in NZ. They have a solid wire loop on both the inside and outside of the tyre which seems to me would make fitting easier. Has anybody used these chains!

The Konig brand have a wire loop on the inside, but use chain on the outside. I have used these chains in the past, and find they can get tangled easily, and can be fiddly to fit if you have cold hands.

Any thoughts!

tnt423, Mar 3, 9:52pm

twaymouth, Mar 3, 11:16pm
The SnowSweat brand Icebreaker 4x4 chains are very good, I have used these many times, amazing in mud snow and ice, with a set of these on your standard road tires you can outperform most mud tires, go straight up clay banks that you couldn't walk up at little more than an idle. Easy enough to fit however you want to do it before you need them!

pico42, Mar 3, 11:57pm
I have used the konigs lots and found them to be good, Used them on both home and work vehicles. Takes about 30 seconds to fit. That said, they are more suited to road travel rather than offroad - have done a lot of offroad use and while they do the trick, there are breakages and they are not as chunky as the icebreakers.

Currently for our 4WD we have one pair of konigs and one pair of icebreakers.