Mini or suzuki swift s? cost to run/reliability

Page 2 / 3
ezekiel67, Mar 27, 2:06am
^that car had been damaged and repaired which may have effected the price it achieved at auction. It's also a 1300cc so the 1500cc/1400cc NZ new models may actually fetch better money used but someone would need to look at the figures.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 2:07am
Yip, that is bottom of the market stuff. But once you can start getting that "shape" for under 10K the others will follow. There are several others that have sold for under 10K in recent history too.
That one was sold with a REG/WOF BTW.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 2:08am
I pointed this out when I posted the original link.

The thing is these basic models were still getting up around 15K not long ago at all.

smac, Mar 27, 2:20am
How's that not true of almost every new car! I think I'm missing the point here.

ezekiel67, Mar 27, 2:26am
It seems this thread has gone off course. How does most of this relate back to the OP's question:

What is the more cost effective to run!

What is more reliable!

He wants a small car for round town - economical fun to drive manual.

Edited for spelling.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 2:29am
Thats not a new car, say that car had done 15'000KM a year for the last couple of years. That would mean 2 years ago it would have had 160K on the clock and the market back then would have likely priced it up around 15K secondhand.

Those that have and are paying silly money for them secondhand are facing depreciation much worse than those that bought them new and flicked them off at a few years old. Thats the point.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 2:29am
Thats not a new car, say that car had done 15'000KM a year for the last couple of years. That would mean 2 years ago it would have had 160K on the clock and the market back then would have likely priced it up around 15K secondhand.

Those that have and are paying silly money for them secondhand are facing depreciation much worse than those that bought them new and flicked them off at a few years old. Thats the point.

Even worse people were pushing those 15K secondhand swifts as being great buy's because they don't depreciate which is the complete opposite of what happened.

Before the Swifts it was Yaris's/Vitz same thing happened to them.

If you had bought a similarly priced Mk5 Golf then you wouldn't have lost nearly as much and you would have been driving a much better car.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 2:33am
The OP never turned up again, I don't think it matters that things have gone astray.

ezekiel67, Mar 27, 2:36am
Just because he's not participating in the conversation doesn't mean he's not reading it.

cjohnw, Mar 27, 2:37am
Can't agree with you countrypete. Have you owned both vehicles! We have, and the Mini out-did the Swift in every category bar none. Admittedly the mini was a Cooper S and the Swift was your normal 1500cc run-of-the mill variant. The wife lost a truck-load when she sold the Swift, I lost very little when I sold the Mini. And bottom line, the Mini was a far more enjoyable drive in every way over the Swift. Which to me, is what it is all about in owning a car like these. Mini wins by a country mile Pete!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 2:38am
True, but by the same token if they were bothered by where the thread has gone they could say something.

bellky, Mar 27, 2:55am
Depreciation is an important part of the cost of ownership of cars.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 3:02am
That we can agree on. Especially when someone is focused on the "cost to run" which pales in comparison to depreciation on some of these vehicles.

superdave0_13, Mar 27, 3:04am
The Mrs has the new swift. averaging 5.6L/100kms at the moment.

vtecintegra, Mar 27, 3:06am
There is a world of difference between the 1500cc Swift and the Swift Sport.

There is also a world of difference between the base Mini, the Cooper and the Cooper S.

You need to compare like for like.

stevel_knievel, Mar 27, 3:09am
Don't they both lack a spare, meaning you need to use run flats which makes replacement tyres expensive!

vtecintegra, Mar 27, 3:29am
The Swift Sport doesn't come with runflats, it has a can of tyre repairer and a small compressor instead.

There isn't anything to say you need to keep putting runflats on the Mini either, I wouldn't given how they are generally bad for ride and handling as well as being expensive.

countrypete, Mar 27, 3:34am
Nuttin' like a good debate (with facts).And yes, enjoyment is a huge factor, but the O.P. was asking about runninng costs and reliability.You said yourself that you sold the two cars years apart.Were they both bought new, were they similar age, condition and mileage at time of sale!And you said yourself that the servicing costs were higher for the Mini.I guess I will have to take the time to dig up some new vs used prices to put to bed the debate on resale.

richardmayes, Mar 27, 3:36am
Suzukis were cool 4-5 years ago, but only because they were unusually snazzy compared to other little Jappers. But I don't think the years will be very kind to them, and they will end up at scrap value one day.

The Minis will always be worth something, because (notwithstanding personal taste)they are genuinely desirable cars.

Rumour has it that if you nudge anything solid with the nose of your Swift, it only has to be a fairly gentle nudge and you will start the crumple zone crumpling.

The Mini is a FWD BMW. I see a lot of tales of woe about the price of German car parts and servicing on here, vs only one or two stalwarts who insist all those people are wrong or must be mistaken. Mind you, a manual 4 cylinder FWD Mini is probably a lot mechanically simpler than many of the high-tech German spaceships that are out there.

Good luck!

bellky, Mar 27, 3:39am
Excellent post there^.

vtecintegra, Mar 27, 3:41am
Same applies to any small car, including the new Mini.

socram, Mar 27, 3:57am
Is $250 for a 16" directional run flat expensive!Not so long ago, I was paying $400 for a convential directional 14" Toyo.

The run flat tyre that was wrecked got me home from the Waikato OK (with no change to the feel of the car) and it was only when it was checked did I realise how bad it was.Had it been a conventional tyre, I would have been stuck at the roadside cursing.

As I have only had about 5 or 6 punctures in nearly 50 years of driving, (two within a year),including a fair bit of track work, a puncture is the least of my worries.

Nothing at all wrong with the ride and handling of the Cooper S either.Watching the Suzuki Swift and Mini Race Series on TV over the last few years, the ability of these smaller cars to stop in such a tiny distance when when they get punted is impressive.

I suspect that as usual on here, there are those who hate anything that comes from Europe and are either blind to the driving experience of something that feels different to what they are used to, or are just out and out biased.

Off subject, but driving my daughter's RAV4 is nothing like driving our previous Freelander.They feel different in so many respects, that some prefer one type, (typically light, Japanese feel) some prefer the other (typical Brit feel - somewhat more solid).It is not to say that on that basis alone, one is better or worse than the other.

fordcrzy, Mar 27, 4:12am
theres a NZ new mazda 2 on here with less than 8000 kays on it that you can get for 16K.thats much better value than a swift at 16K

wrong2, Mar 27, 6:04am
another opinion would be that they have no lines & look like 4 wheelbricks

& i dont get the people saying swifts look good either . bulge nose & bland slab sides / bumpers

soon you wont be able to buy a supermini the way they are fattening up

tree51, Mar 27, 6:25am
If you wanta true investment I suggest you stay away from any car built in the last 40 years.