A question for the car painters

Page 3 / 4
singing1, Mar 23, 8:55am
Ok well I do have a car in my shed which I did as you say cannot be done. The paint job is now 21 years old and mint. So there are ways it can be done.
The best results will be achieved by stripping back to metal but if thats just too much work there are ways.

rob_man, Mar 23, 9:00am
If that's in reply to me I didn't mean anything couldn't be done, just that some things shouldn't be done. I will always go for the safest method if given a choice and in this case it would be a coat of good old synthetic enamel. Cheap and effective as well as expedient, time is money where I come from.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:02am
I hand stripped a 72 LTD using a lathe tip welded on to a shaft and a handle fitted.took 4 weeks.
takes time and if ya paying costs a bomb.sand blasting ruins the steel.also pitts it .also hardens it.

Different strokes for diffrent folks.

If you want to build a race car.Body shell should be morred at sea for at least 3 years, then soda blasted.and then spot sand blasted.then etc.

I've seen some very light old school cars.Sea bath is a very old trick

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:05am
Mate. yes and no.
It takes about 4-6 hours to run over a car outside with a 3m strip disc . then whole car is back to bare steel.Ya old xa type ltd I did must have had about 30 coats of paint and 3m stripper disks werent invented.LOL.I'm old

I use enamel for painting trailers.if you use enamel you can use petrol for thinners.But the shine fades in about 6 months.

singing1, Mar 23, 9:09am
As an apprentice.we had to block sand with 150 grit, by hand to strip a car.The boss thought that taught us something and it did. Buy tools that work.

singing1, Mar 23, 9:11am
Now dont tell us all your secrets.

supernova2, Mar 23, 9:12am
Hey thanks guys- its an Austin and British assembled. its been in the shed for the last 10 yrs or so.Could strip but its not worth the effort as its not a minter just a tidy old car.After all if it was a minter wouldn't be doling a backyard job on it.

skin1235, Mar 23, 9:16am
lol, not quite the effect he wanted, but you were a fast learner huh

attitudedesignz, Mar 23, 9:18am
Obviously there are better "painters" in this thread that know more than me so i'll stay out and let the in-correct info' (materials & methods) keep flowing.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:19am
LOL.I didnt do the apprentice thing.I did the I dont need the money but wanna learn.Give me a job.Boss told me being a apprentice and passing doesnt mean you can put out a top job.I ended up getting paid more than the top painters.Funny thing was.all car repaints he saw I did at home.at the shop I did strip.Reasamble.Fine detail and touch up when needed.
wiring and nuts and bolts.
Most diffrent car I ever had a hand in the restore was a Bond.
O gee anther old UK car in duco.repainted in laquer and 2K clear.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:24am
GO to a paint shop and buy a bottle of 3M hand glaze.Go stuiped all over the car.paint, glass and chrome.Rub in.even let it dry and polish off.(you will get a sweat on) It may bring car back to forma glory .keeping with it's factory stance.

3m hand glaze can be painted over.DO NOT USE A WAX

as wax is the problem these guys are talking about.dulon over duco is fine.but if its full of wax that goes back thru to the steel.

and I must add. Taking a car back to bare steel doesnt also fix the problem with painting as wax gord into the steel.a bare metal respray can also fryup due to wax.so thier you go.

attitudedesignz, Mar 23, 9:27am
Wax going thru paint layers into the steel!

That's a new one, i think you're taking the micheal now mate.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:28am
A unrestord car can be worth a lot more than one with new paint.

rob_man, Mar 23, 9:30am
I also feel I must bow to the superior knowledge and pearls of wisdom being cast before the wondrous onlookers and seekers of the truth.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:32am
Well if you havnt had wax fry up.That tells me you havnt repainted many old"OLD" cars then.

attitudedesignz, Mar 23, 9:40am
17 model Ts for the QLD model T club
2 Rolls Royce silver ghosts for the HBVCC
1 Willys Knight
1 Hispano Suiza

Mate the list is probably longer than you have time to read, but i, like rob will bow to your superior knowladge of painting.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 9:48am
Model T;s were hand painted, heated enamel.Hand painted.
I restored a willys.carnt think of its name but suv station wagon woodie type thing.Overlander!.
Bond.oddest car I;ve restored was a bambia.it cost the guy about 12 grand.15 years ago.(whats one worth now!)
E someting charger."the pressie of the vailant club told me its the best one hes ever seen)was 6cly with triple side drafts factory but retro factory fitted with 460 V8 and 4 on the floor.(It did wicked burnouts).I hand stripped the underside and fully rebuilt the running gear.
I might havephoto of that

But I know nothing about cars,

Yourve done some mint old cars.as i said old cars dont fry.the paint covers.but beaware of wax fry

singing1, Mar 23, 12:02pm
Sand it down and give it coat of primer andtop coat with enamel it will be mint. Hose the shed out and blow the dust of the car with a good tac cloth. The biggest issue for back yard jobs is the dust so go around and around it to make sure its dust free before you start.

gammelvind, Mar 23, 7:07pm
Fyi guys for stripping back to bare metal. 3M make whats called a bristle disc, comes in 2 grades, brown 36grit and green 50grit. It looks like one of those round hair brushes from the days of brylcream lol. This beast goes on your grinder and removes all paint leaving the metal clean and undamaged, forget all that sanding, scrapeing etc. Every panelbeater I have sold one to looks at it with the expresion of what the hell can this bit of plastic do, then they come back for more. There is also a little purple 36grit one that will fit on your roloc grinder, great for door shuts and engine bays.

grangies, Mar 23, 7:42pm
I use quite a lot of them. The green ones.

Good ole scalp brush lol.

grangies, Mar 23, 7:44pm
Just out of interest what do you do to the dulon colour before you put 2k clear on top!

And why not just use a genuine polyester or acrylic base coat colour!

trogedon, Mar 23, 10:10pm
So do I. It gets air bubbles easily.

rob_man, Mar 23, 10:39pm
We used to mix Tetrosyl 50/50 with 2D primer. It works better like that for some reason.
Haven't seen it for years though.

lookoutas, Mar 24, 8:18pm
Come on you old painters - its not a Cortina or Jappa, its a Pom Austin. So what sort of paint is on them!

rob_man, Mar 24, 9:08pm
From the factory it would have been nitrocellulose lacquer, the safest thing to paint over it will be enamel unless there's N/C lacquer available. I had stopped replying because there was a far more erudite and multiskilled expert giving advice.