Hey Jazz.. Httpwwwtrademeconzbrowselistingaspxid460181556 your opinion on this any potential problems to look for advice appreci

grangies, Mar 24, 4:54am
She's a big beast.

The paint job makes it look better than the average large van though.

Gotta be better than a Ford Transit.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 5:31am
Hi gregman,

That looks pretty good for the price if it dosn't go much over the 10K.
I am especially keen on the low km's (well low for a van of that milage).

The key thing to check out with these is the transmission/clutch/flywheel. The thing with powerful common rail vans (all makes) is that they develop eye watering amounts of torque at idle or just above.

That means its fairly easy to abuse the hang out of the clutch and flywheel if you don't drive properly. Partially deaf motorhomers are particularly good at backing up slopes etc with the clutch half out and some rev's on blissfully unaware that they are tearing their clutch to shreds and killing off the flywheel. Idiot's that do 2nd gear takeoff's are another hazard.

They also have a dual mass flywheel (as do pretty much all similar vans) which is what gives you the nice car like takeoff but this can be expensive to replace. So. you get the idea, take it for a run and make sure the clutch isn't slipping and there are no strange noises or shudders etc.

Other than that just all the normal common sense checks. If there are service records make sure its been running the proper synthetic oil etc. Oil changes I think are every 15K on that motor (check to be sure). Servicing is all very straight foward.

Best of luck with it, they are one hang of a decent and surprisingly powerful van. If you want some further info pop over to the Fiat Forum as someone with that exact model/engine combo may have a few more ideas on idiosyncratic things to check for.

mugenb20b, Mar 24, 5:31am
It's front wheel drive.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 5:42am
I will have a slower look over the pics and things later, was just breezing in and out. There is a regular poster on here who has I suspect exactly that model/engine combo who uses it to tow his race car.

I will have a think about who it is and update this later tonight or tomorrow as they may be a really good sounding board too.

I am more familiar with the smaller 2.3 although I think it will basically be the same engine. The 2.8 must really haul as the 2.3 is amazingly quick.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 6:15am
Just checked sr2 is the man who tows a race car with one of those.

mantagsi, Mar 24, 9:39am
Are they! hard case, never knew that

gregmran, Mar 24, 8:16pm
Hey, thanks Jazz.any more opinions, anyone!

bellky, Mar 24, 8:20pm
i like ford transit myself; my impression is there are more of them around and getting it worked on if need be would be easier, more successful, and perhaps cheaper.

(you did ask)

gregmran, Mar 24, 8:40pm
Cheers bellky. I'd heard that the transits were heaps of problematic crap. Can anyone enlighten regarding that!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 2:32am
Your assumption is correct from my personal experience as well. My folks got rid of their Transit in favor of a Ducato very recently.
The Fiat is much better built, their engines are significantly better and they are a nicer van all round. You also have to go to 2002 or newer to get a common rail version of the Transit.

Fiat diesels were the very best of the early common rail units, and thats not surprising given they invented the technology and had longer to bring it to market.

Parts are cheap and plentiful from the likes of Italian Auto's and servicing is very straight forward.

gregmran, Mar 25, 4:34am
Cheers everyone for your opinions.much appreciated.

michelle322, Mar 25, 5:03am
we relocated a 2.3 manual diesel camper from CH-CH back to Auckland [2000kms]recently and was very impressed,passed Trannys like they were stopped.only filled 3 times,found it liked to cruise nicely at 110kph.only thing we could fault it on was the grab handles to get into the cab.