Motorbike hire for learners

knight2216, Mar 26, 6:54am
Just wondering if there is somewhere that hires out 250cc bikes for a few weeks for a learner to get their licence on!25+ adult.

bitsy_boffin, Mar 26, 6:59am
You are on a learners now, and want to go to restricted!Or restricted and want to go full!Or none and want to go learner!

Learner and Restricted are (until 1 October when the LAM list comes in) only able to use 250cc, so if you are going to learners, or to restricted, not much point hiring one, you might as well buy one since you'll be on it a while.

If you are going restricted to full, many motorcycle shops will have a 250cc which they hire out for a 1/2 day or whatever to get your full licence, assuming you've been riding a larger bike on your restricted illegally then you will be fine without needing "a few weeks" of practice.

motorboy2011, Mar 26, 7:28am
Whats the use of a gilera dna180 or an fx125 for 2 weeks worth to you!

xs1100, Mar 26, 7:47am
whats the lam list,has been on my must do list also and been through a few check points lately and they look at my license and when i go "yeh mtr cycle learner 20 odd yrs"

motorboy2011, Mar 26, 7:50am
yeah its on mine too, 12 years on my learners

bitsy_boffin, Mar 26, 10:17am
LAM = Learner Approved Motorcycle

for Learner and Restricted riders after 1st of October, the rule changes from "anything 250cc and under" to (simplifying here)
1. anything 250cc and under, except for those 2 stroke 250 death machines which will be excluded
2. various bikes over 250cc (up to 650cc) will also be approved based on their power to weight ratio

Bikes which are on the LAM list will have that written on their registration labels.

sw20, Mar 26, 10:38am
Will LAM's kill the great resale market for sub 250s and especially 2 smokers!

bitsy_boffin, Mar 26, 10:41am
Remains to be seen.Will depend how comprehensive the LAM ends up to be.

motorboy2011, Mar 26, 7:38pm
I think right now two smoke 250s, rgv, nsr, rs etc often cost more than a 400cc of similar power, I think after the LAM comes in the 2 smokes will still be worth a bit but may drop below the 400s value. As much a I like the 2 stroke 250's, if one of them and say a nice reliable vfr400r which is almost as flick-able in the twisties are the same price, i'd be taking the vfr

ian86, Mar 26, 8:04pm
Why not try your local bike shop!., many years ago when I went for my license test I borrowed a bike from the local shop for a tray of piss., that was only for a few hours though. to sit the test