Would you buy a car without trying it out

Page 1 / 3
kimini, Apr 23, 3:29am
would you buy a car on tm without actually test driving it or seeing it! especially if you lived in another town,,, or would you rely on the sellers blurb

bellky, Apr 23, 3:34am
Yes I have done that. $1 reserve '98 Disco in '07. 40k odd ks later and it has been a good vehicle so far.

turton, Apr 23, 3:35am
nope, unless it was super cheap

kimini, Apr 23, 3:39am
yeah, just been looking at a car and it was sold up here in auckland to someone in Nelson,,, it didnt go cheap when we saw itit looked like it needed work,new windscreen,,, new tyres,,, none of this was on the ad,,, they made it sound like it was a great car,,,

smac, Apr 23, 3:41am
I've done it, worked out fine. Would depend a lot on what sort of car. A cheapie, no problem, as I'd be counting on fixing stuff any way. A newer car, no problem, wouldn't anticipate problems other than what could bite you even if you did view first. In the middle.that's where I'd be more cautious.

picksta, Apr 23, 3:41am
Have done this 3 times, each through a dealer , at least some comeback if things go wrong.(they haven't to date!) , but if private seller had impressive feedback, seemed trustworthy and a good bugger (through Q & A), would consider.

morrisman1, Apr 23, 3:50am
Have just done, will be flying up to pick it up tomorrow.

kimini, Apr 23, 3:51am
thanks tonyrockhorror, thats the kind of thing I was wondering about,, thats why I was just asking would you buy a car you hadnt seen

saxman99, Apr 23, 3:53am
Yes I have for a couple of vehicles, but probably wouldn't for a daily driver.

socram, Apr 23, 3:56am
Yes.Said that if a third party thought it was worth the money, I'd buy it.He took it to the 3rd party.He said it was worth the money being asked.I bought it.

Failed the first WoF in Auckland (half expected that) but still agreed it was worth what I paid.

hamishcookie, Apr 23, 4:09am
Yeah brought my RVR without seeing it, went off the sellers feedback and would have taken a red face if I had turned up and it wasn't what was advertised. But it was as described the seller while overseas communicated well and his mate that was looking after the car was mint to deal with too.

NZTools, Apr 23, 4:17am
Yup. Bought an xy falcon with a 351 v8 without even viewing it. Sold it 3 years later for 12k more than I paid for it.

bellky, Apr 23, 4:20am
I'm impressed.

kimini, Apr 23, 4:25am
that sounds as though it was someone trustworthy with good feedback,,, this one hadgood feedback tooso lets hope he fixed the things before he sold it,,

elect70, Apr 23, 5:12am
I have oncebut i took cash with me & if it wasnt as descibed i would have walked away from it but turned outok .

NZTools, Apr 23, 5:16am
The guy that bought it off me never looked at it either, and he spent a whole lot more money than I did., lol

ryanm2, Apr 23, 5:17am
Ive done it 4 times so far - Chch to Auckland , Tauranga , Nelson and lastly Dunedin. 3 out of the 4 have been worthwhile.

pettal, Apr 23, 5:17am
Yes- have done it a number of times , includingdaily drivers ,a holden V8 ,a diesel ute= all worked out well and would do it again under the right circumstances .

trogedon, Apr 23, 5:22am
I did - once. I'd be very loathe to in the future. Not that I didn't get a good car but some of the ownership details weren't right and 1 or 2 other issues. Sold it for more $ soon after.

michael.benn, Apr 23, 5:35am
Bought a 1992 Holden Barina that was in Kapiti/Waikanae area. Seller met me and two mates at paraparaumu train station (we caught the overlander down from Auckland).

It was $950. Water pump is completely munted, wasn't mentioned in the ad. What was mentioned was that it was "a good little runner".

I suppose once I replace the water pump it will be. got a heap of rust though as well, and that wasn't mentioned either.

What pissed me off the most was that the seller had the nerve to say "watch the water" just before he left us at the station.

EDIT : In fairness, it did make it all the way back up to West Auckland . traveling all the way up the east coast, we went to wellington from paraparaumu, before going up past carterton/masterton, gisborne, napier/hastings, etc etc, up to the mount and then to waihi, before coromandel and then home. So not all bad.

esprit, Apr 23, 5:37am
I bought my Lotus from Edinburgh over the internet sight-unseen, nothing wong so long as you do your homework thoroughly.

laneyjan, Apr 23, 5:45am
Ive done it 4 times.2 were dogs and two were good.wouldnt do it again ever.

m16d, Apr 23, 5:47am
No doubt you gave it a cut and polish 1st.

trogedon, Apr 23, 5:52am
Ah but was there anything 'wrong' with it!!

200sx, Apr 23, 6:08am
Case by case basis - if its an absolute shitter, then no chance. But if a good, modern vehicle, then a reputable 3rd party inspection should be sufficient if buying sight unseen. I brought a 2nd hand HSV Clubsport privately from CHCH unseen but only after doing a pre-purchase inspection at Blackwells HSV. I asked the dealer to do a general inspection, but also focus on particular areas, which they did. No regrets at all, well worth the cost.