Clutch in rpms go up

Page 1 / 2
weedude1, Apr 26, 8:45am
ive just made my 96 gsr into a manual and when u put your foot on the clutch the rpms go up y would this happen!

hydroman08, Apr 26, 8:47am
take your foot off the accelerator

kaymay88, Apr 26, 8:48am
gas still being fed to the engine, so when the clutch goes in disengaging the gearbox, the engine speed can increase a little as its not carrying the same load.
is it just a very momentary increase!

weedude1, Apr 26, 8:48am
happens when just sitting still car not moving

weedude1, Apr 26, 8:50am
200 300 rpm was sweet as when it was auto

weedude1, Apr 26, 8:55am
yes only happen when foot on clutch

lugee, Apr 26, 8:57am
Vehicle stationari in neutral! What is the RPM with the clutch in and the clutch out!

motorboy2011, Apr 26, 8:59am
Normal.

weedude1, Apr 26, 9:01am
clutch out 900rpm clutch in 1250rpm

weedude1, Apr 26, 9:02am
and yes car stationari and in neutral

40wav, Apr 26, 9:04am
Clutch bearing about to sieze! Somethings not right.

lugee, Apr 26, 9:08am
Yeah sounds like you got a fair bit of drag in the drivetrain. Plus, your idle is set too high.

weedude1, Apr 26, 9:11am
drag in the drive train where !

weedude1, Apr 26, 9:14am
clutch kit is new

morrisman1, Apr 26, 10:07am
gearbox has drag. push clutch pedal = disconnect gearbox. Removing that drag means engine will rev higher. Normal is up to 100rpm, sounds like your gearbox has issues

happylad3, Apr 26, 10:09am
Agree with morrisman. Have you out the right amout of oil and viscosity in! Sounds like there's heaps of drag/resistance on the input shaft.

lugee, Apr 26, 10:13am
I'd say you've either got treacle for tranny oil, or its been run without oil and has gotten hot enough to warp the input shaft. Either way something is up inside the transmission. I'd probably start with changing the tranny oil to a suitable gear oil.

johnf_456, Apr 26, 10:16am
As above, was the gearbox a confirmed working from the place you got it from!

unclejake, Apr 26, 10:20am
Weedude, I have no idea what motor this is (a gsr could be more than one type of car), but if it is a cable activated throttle then check to ensure the cable isn't being stressed by the clutch activation.

weedude1, Apr 26, 10:21am
its got new oil its got sae 75/90 and put 3 and ahalf lt in gear box and 750ml in centre diff

richardmayes, Apr 26, 10:31am
Surely the front bearing of the gearbox would have to be damn near seized up solid, before letting the clutch out would release enough drag to make the engine actually rev up in neutral!

Does your clutch have a vacuum servo (like a brake servo)!
If it does, a leaky air seal in the servo could admit air into the engine when you press the pedal, causing it to rev up a little, as though you had opened op the throttle slightly.

weedude1, Apr 26, 10:32am
got it this guy off trademe makavali2

weedude1, Apr 26, 10:36am
bearing is brand new and no it does not have a servo

skin1235, Apr 26, 11:53am
you converted this from auto
so you bolted a new pedal box in there
or you fabricated another pivot plate for the clutch onto the side of the old pedal box and now it is flexing and dragging the throttle cable

heres a test - disconnect the throttle linkage at the carb, - try again, neutral slot, clutch in, clutch out
has the ecu ( does the ecu need to be)! been reprogrammed for unloaded idle speed
it may rise maybe 50 to 100 rpm with a cold box. less with a hot one, if it still goes up by 300 you have box issues

evotime, Apr 26, 12:09pm
I'd say when he says 96 gsr he means, Mitsubishi Evo 4 shape but with 1800 instead of 2l so no carb.
The earlier evos had a habit of cracking the firewall around the clutch master cyl if they had heavy duty clutch fitted, is the clutch slave cyl pushing out and bending the brake vac booster hose or something around there!