Ford XR6 FG 2009 - Extended Warranty

Page 1 / 2
radha_giridhari, Apr 29, 10:49am
Hi All,

Is it worth getting 3 yr extended warranty from ford!

Regularly serviced sedan, done 87k.

$1400 for 3 yr extended warranty!

Please suggest.

Thanks

a.woodrow, Apr 29, 11:28am
Save your money

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 29, 12:16pm
No. Consumer Guarantees Act provides all the cover you need.

Edit: Unless you're buying for business purposes.

unbeatabull, Apr 29, 7:18pm
Does CGA cover an extra 3 years on a second hand car! I doubt it.

I'd go for the warranty, you may not need it, but I know that if something does crap out it will cost a bit to get fixed, even if its something simple like the Trans Loom seal, it will set you back a lot, and they are common to leak.

yogibearz, Apr 29, 8:07pm
wouldnt bother. last XR6 car i traded had 150000km on clock and was still going strong. waste of money.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 29, 9:07pm
The CGA provides better cover than an insurance policy ('extended warranty') does.

thunderbolt, Apr 29, 9:36pm
I have 08 FG done 120.
Apart from servicing , just done rotors and pads all round, the only issue has been a Air Con relay that died.
ZF trans service due at 90k, try to get the dealer to do it and save a few hundred.

bellky, Apr 29, 9:47pm
I'd say your FG will be sweet but you others don't write off warranties alltogether; by bro has a T2 TS50 and lucky for him he had a warranty as he has had the head gaskets done and the diff rebuilt (diff didn't need rebuilding just needed redline oil lol), and probly some other stuff I can't remember.

radha_giridhari, Apr 29, 10:10pm
It's for personal use only. Family car, one driver. Cheers

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 29, 10:24pm
'Extended warranties' are the dealer's way of trying to make you pay for obligations they'd have to carry themselves.

radha_giridhari, Apr 29, 10:34pm
A friend suggested that having extended 3 yr warranty will help with reselling in future!

radha_giridhari, Apr 29, 10:38pm
We brought the car over 6 months ago. North harbour ford sent us the letter asking if we want to extend the mechanical warrantee for 3 yrs as ford warrantee will be over within few months.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 29, 10:49pm
I don't think many are transferable, so I very much doubt that. Who is the actual provider!

a.woodrow, Apr 29, 10:56pm
If it's about to come out of warranty, take it in for an end of warranty inspection to see if they can find anything that could be claimed

radha_giridhari, Apr 29, 11:13pm
Thanks. I'll find out about it from the dealer

a.woodrow, Apr 29, 11:22pm
You'll find a lot of dealers are happy to do this, remember that they get paid to do warranty work as well, so it's all money in the bank for them

rovercitroen, Apr 30, 4:24am
Be aware, some mechanical warranties cannot be transferred to a different owner.

casper35, Apr 30, 7:29am
Waste of money put the money in the bank then should anything go wrong you have thwe money there.If it doesnt you win all round.

easygoer, Apr 30, 9:14am
I'd be a bit wary of this, if the dealer checks the car over and finds nothing wrong with it they will most likely bill you for the inspection because they won't be able to claim it back from the manufacturer, a warranty is there to cover faults that develop due to faulty workmanship or materials.

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 9:16am
Of course they would charge! probablyno more than half an hour or so in labour. small price to pay if they find something under warranty. We used to charge $22, free if we found something to claim

gunhand, Apr 30, 9:20am
$1400.00! Seems very steep for a 3 year warrenty. You can get them way cheaper than that if thats the way you want to go.
Out of interest just how long does the CGA cover you and what is the excpected/exceptable time a car should last before wearing out!

designerliving, Apr 30, 9:21am
My god, your a know it all! is there anyting you dont have an opinion on

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 9:23am
I'm thinking that if it was offered by ford it might be an extension of the new car warranty. if that's what it is, they can be expensive as a lot more can be claimed under it that isn't covered by CGA or a general powertrain type warranty

radha_giridhari, Apr 30, 9:40am
Sorry, just to clarify. It's "NEW VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS MECHANICAL WARRANTY FOR ADDITIONAL 3 yrs" it also offers 24x7 roadside assistance as well as nil excess on quality Service and repairs with genuine parts.

So is it worth it for $1395!

Please suggest

gunhand, Apr 30, 9:45am
Hey if you can afford it and it gives you peace of mind well why not.Mind you I had a friend use the CGA on a 05 Holden bout 2 years ago.But if its as you say it does sound pretty good and modern cars seem to be fickle things. Hell you only have to search on here to find there is no such thing as a reliable car.