Windscreen chip repairs. how much?

thedevil1, Apr 15, 8:52am
i got a small starchip in screen. about the size of a dollar coin or sixpence.middle of passenger side. how much do the repair companys usually charge. cheers.

skin1235, Apr 15, 8:54am
last one I had, slightly smaller, cost $60

thedevil1, Apr 15, 8:56am
whereabouts skin!

skin1235, Apr 15, 8:58am
wanganui glass center, about 8 mths ago, doubt they have increased much if at all

skin1235, Apr 15, 9:00am
not sure re smith and smith up your way, wang glass used to be smith and smith , give your local a call in the morning, they'll suggest a price

thedevil1, Apr 15, 9:00am
sweet mate. probably same price here locally in morrinsville. cheers

thedevil1, Apr 15, 9:01am
yep. smith n smith here

robbo36, Apr 15, 10:20am
Had a star repaired by Smith and Smith in Hamilton recently. The cost of the repair was covered as I have glass cover with my insurance co.

intrade, Apr 15, 7:59pm
you can do your own repair if you do it right then it be as good as the professional. but in any case get it fixed soonest as when dirt enters the crack chip then it cant be fixed so that you wont see it after.
I fixed once one on my hilux 3 minutes after a stone hit it and its gone cant find or see it no more with a cheap kit . You do need no sunlight when you aplly it and sunlight to dry the repair fluid to harden it. So its a bugger when there is no sun to get it to set and impossibile in rain.

intrade, Apr 15, 8:03pm
i would not get the unsurance to pay for a stone repair. Here is why
You have insurance and they will give you 1 free windscreen replacment per 12 or 24 month depending on your policy. the cost to replace a screen can be up to 800$ per screen for some cars.
Now you are getting a windscreen fixed and insurance pay 60$ for repair that would have whiped your 1 free replacment , so if you got to fully replace the screen in 2 weeks time you will pay for 800$ windscreen your self.that is whyi would not get the insurance to pay the 60$ chip repair. You have to read all the finprint insurance stick to there fineprints.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 16, 12:00am
intrade. are you sure if you get a repair done, that it wipes your allowance to get a new windscreen if you need one. i would thought that a windscreen replacement was for a windscreen replacement, not for a repair.

intrade, Apr 16, 1:40am
Read the smallprint. it robably says something like windscreen work claims 1 per year or so on fine print.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 16, 4:16am
ill find it and let u know. doesnt reall sound right though

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 16, 4:33am
all i could find was "Windows- SC-
If a claim is only for sudden and accidental loss to
windscreens, windows, sunroofs, or driving lights of the
car, you will not have to pay an excess and you will not lose
your no claim discount. Driving lights include headlights,
fog lights, spot lights and reversing lights but exclude
indicator lights, stop lights and decorative lights.
thats all i could find on windscreens. i guess every policy is different though